Skip to main content

Geocaching and Mother's Day

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact is a little sample of my annual stats report given yesterday at the Manitoba Geocaching Association's AGM.  From April 30/2017 to April 30/2018, 540 geocaches were archived in Manitoba.  The oldest to be archived was ""Back" on the Prairies" GCKT30, originally published in October, 2004.  Another significant cache to be archived was "Weather...or not" GCWP3Z, published in June, 2006.  It was found 1,496 times, making it the most found cache in Manitoba.

I've known for weeks that today's blog would be published on Mother's Day.  It's only fitting that today's blog should be about Mother's Day.  How do I merge the two together?  Even now as I pre-type this, I have no idea how this blog will turn out.  This was the only way I could think of to celebrate all mothers out there.

Some moms are very active in geocaching.  They take there young children out to experience and explore the nearby parks and walkways.  They watch as their children find the geocaches and hopefully find some neat swag inside.  Some moms are older, and their kids have grown.  Maybe they're grandmas now.  Possible three generation group going out to find a geocache?

There are moms that are not really active.  They might tag along as moral support, or simply just to get out of the house and a break from the daily chores.  They may not have a geocaching account.  You could say they are educated muggles.  These moms encourage, support, and put up with our obsession with everything geocaching.  To the moms out there that allow us to tackle daily streaks, or time away with other geocachers to find that specific D/T cache, or the oldest cache in a given area, or simply to allow us to run out in the middle of the night for that coveted FTF, thank you.  This day is for you.

Thank you to all the moms out there.  I hope that today is very special and brings you much joy and happiness.  To add to this week's blog, I decided to include some pictures of geocaching moms.  It is a very select few as there are far more out there that would make this an endless blog.

GeoJangie

G.G.&J

V.A.

Marco Island Girl

gloworm77

That's all for this week.  Happy Mother's Day.  Until next week, peace out, be safe, enjoy, and remember, geocaching is meant to be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little...

Geocaching and May, 2022

Good morning everyone, In the past, I've always wrote about my geocaching experiences first, followed by an update on my weight loss.  This month I'm combining the two since they were intertwined together somewhat.  Now that the weather has finally improved, I can make good on one of my goals.  Ride my bike more this year.  What is more?  I don't think I rode it at all last year, and I couldn't say for sure the year before that.   The first thing I needed to do was buy a helmet.  I'm old school when it comes to wearing a bike helmet.  Didn't grow up wearing one (no one did), so why do I need one now?  I'm not getting any younger and I should look after myself, and that includes wearing a bike helmet. Now that I have a helmet, I'm off to explore bike paths.  That's another thing I didn't have growing up; designated bike paths.  And while I'm out riding my bike, I might stop for a geocache or two or three. ...

Geocaching and the Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series

 Good morning everyone.  I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with this opening paragraph.  It should be something that's interesting, a fun fact about geocaching.  Stay tuned.  Hopefully soon. Last week I mentioned going on an adventure, scouting out places for an Adventure Lab.  Today is the results of that day.   The pictures didn't download in their proper order, so I'll just go with the flow of the pictures and there's plenty of pictures.  The Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series - Austin MacGregor has ten stages.  I did scout out more than ten locations plus I found a few geocaches as well.  Let's see where last Sunday took me. Four of my stops are at cairns commemorating previous schools or school divisions.  These are things I discovered because of geocaching.  This one is for the Image Hill school.  You don't see the plaque because an answer to a question is on it.  Although, if you look...