Skip to main content

Geocaching and Stuff.

Good morning everyone.

Once again it's 9am on a Sunday morning, and I haven't even started writing today's blog.  Normally I'm getting ready to click on the publish button right about now.  This has become a trend of late.  It's not from a lack of content.  I have enough geocaching pictures on my phone to create a few stories.  After almost four years of writing geocaching related blogs on a weekly basis, I'm sure I can revisit some earlier stories.  

Life goes in cycles.  It has it's ups and downs.  We go through changes.  I feel I'm experiencing a change.  I'm still geocaching.  I can't see me giving up geocaching.  Some days that's my therapy.  I'm not big on power trails as much anymore, but there is one that I've been picking away at.  I have no idea how many geocaches are on this trail, but it seems to be getting longer over time.  It runs along an abandoned railway.  Somewhere along the way, I park my car and set off on foot.  I'll go one or two kilometers out, then return to my car.  I have mentioned this trail in the past as I have been chipping away at it since the Spring.  It's just me and my thoughts as I walk down the trail.  I don't even look at my phone.  I have the next cache cued up and when I'm close, I can feel my phone vibrate in my hand.  I usually scan the area to see if I can spot the container.  I usually do six or seven caches before heading back.  The problem is that I'm getting further and further away from the city.

My most recent visit to this trail.  I did those five, plus one more elsewhere for the six I needed for the day to bring my total caches found on that calendar day to eleven.  

My view as I head South towards the caches.  It's getting late into October.  We were having some really nice weather, but the more seasonal temperatures have arrived.  It was around 5C or 41F at the time.

The containers were easier to spot with the leaves off the trees.  Another reason why I like doing this trail in the early Spring or Fall.  The finds have been quick, allowing me to get back to my thoughts sooner.

That's my return trip to my car after finding the last cache.  Almost one kilometer out, or just over half a mile.  That was at a normal pace for me.  It probably took two or three times longer getting to the furthest cache as I was stopping to find each cache.

What I've done so far.

What I have left.  The furthest cache is almost 50km or 31 miles from my apartment.  Another 14 kilometers further North is another power trail.  The Manitoba Critter trail.  I haven't even touched that one yet.  I have no idea how many geocaches make up that trail and it continues to get longer and longer.  I can see it intersecting with the Winnipeg River power trail at the other end.  

As mentioned, going on these walks by myself allows me to try and figure stuff out in my life and possibly come up with ideas or plans moving forward.  Lately it has been a struggle to stay on top of my projects.  The Geocaching Guild unfortunately has seen it's demise about ten days ago.  No announcement or fanfare.  I just stopped scheduling posts.  Towards the end, there really wasn't anything scheduled ahead of time.  It was done the morning of and usually late.  

Another thing that came to an end was something I was doing on my own FB page.  From Monday to Friday, I would post a picture, usually of the sun coming up as I saw it from the fourth floor at my work.  I would include what crazy holiday it was for that day, such as banana bread day, say hi to your neighbor day, world naked gardening day (an actual day celebrated the first Saturday in May), and a top 10 list that people tried to guess what made the list.  it was fun to do, but I needed time for me.  

The start of another work day.

Where does my blog fit in to all this change?  I don't know.  I write because I enjoy sharing my stories and thoughts.  It's certainly not for the money.  The Cache Crates I was getting last year was costing me around $40/month, and quite frankly, those boxes are not worth $40.  Cache Advance didn't acknowledge what I was doing as far as I can remember.  The photo contest was coming out of my pocket.  It didn't generate the entries or more readers as I had hoped.  I'm two months shy of my fourth anniversary of writing.

Personally, I'm starting to purge my possessions.  I keep hauling this stuff around from one apartment to the next and some of it never gets unpacked.  Time for it to go.  One thing I'm hoping to sell is my comic book collection that I have had since the mid 1980s.  I'm pricing it out and finding books I forgot I had.  Out with the old and simplify my life.

Doesn't look like much if you're not a collector, but that issue is the first full appearance of the Venom character.  He has his own movie in theaters right now.  I have over 3,000 books that I want to sell.  Wish me luck.

That's about it for this week.  Until next time, it may be next week or it may not, be happy, stay safe, hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.

I spent my vacation week looking after this crazy cat.  It was a rough start, but we were starting to bond at the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little...

Geocaching and the Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series

 Good morning everyone.  I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with this opening paragraph.  It should be something that's interesting, a fun fact about geocaching.  Stay tuned.  Hopefully soon. Last week I mentioned going on an adventure, scouting out places for an Adventure Lab.  Today is the results of that day.   The pictures didn't download in their proper order, so I'll just go with the flow of the pictures and there's plenty of pictures.  The Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series - Austin MacGregor has ten stages.  I did scout out more than ten locations plus I found a few geocaches as well.  Let's see where last Sunday took me. Four of my stops are at cairns commemorating previous schools or school divisions.  These are things I discovered because of geocaching.  This one is for the Image Hill school.  You don't see the plaque because an answer to a question is on it.  Although, if you look...

Geocaching and May, 2022

Good morning everyone, In the past, I've always wrote about my geocaching experiences first, followed by an update on my weight loss.  This month I'm combining the two since they were intertwined together somewhat.  Now that the weather has finally improved, I can make good on one of my goals.  Ride my bike more this year.  What is more?  I don't think I rode it at all last year, and I couldn't say for sure the year before that.   The first thing I needed to do was buy a helmet.  I'm old school when it comes to wearing a bike helmet.  Didn't grow up wearing one (no one did), so why do I need one now?  I'm not getting any younger and I should look after myself, and that includes wearing a bike helmet. Now that I have a helmet, I'm off to explore bike paths.  That's another thing I didn't have growing up; designated bike paths.  And while I'm out riding my bike, I might stop for a geocache or two or three. ...