Skip to main content

Geocaching and April, 2022

Good morning everyone.

Another month has passed by.  Time to look back on April.  During the week leading up to today, I started my reflection of April so I could have an idea of what to write about.  It was then that I realized what a train wreck this past month was.  Aside from a CITO and an ice cream event during the first weekend, and before the new GCHQ promotion, I have done zero geocaching.  That's a big zip, nothing, goose egg.  There was two CITO events that were postponed because of the weather.  I did manage one more CITO two days ago (Friday).  That's three events and not a single geocache found.  I don't even have any pictures to share.  Despite the rainy weather again, I set out yesterday (Saturday) to find at least one physical geocache.

Part of the reason for not getting any geocaching in was because of the weather this month.  Just before Easter, we were hit with a weather system known as a Colorado Low.  These usually bring snow storms.  This one did just that.  We lucked out compared to our neighbors to the South, North Dakota.  They got wolloped with crazy amounts of snow.  We already had unprecedented amounts of snow over the course of the winter.  Some geocaches that were marked as Winter Friendly were starting to appear again after being buried in snow.  If that wasn't enough, we got hit again eight days later with another Colorado Low.  Once again we lucked out and got mostly rain, including thunder showers.  North Dakota got more snow.  If that wasn't enough, for the third straight week, we are experiencing yet another Colorado Low.  To the kind people of Colorado, please keep your low pressure systems to yourselves.  Sincerely, the people of Montana, North Dakota, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and anyone else that's been affected by this weather pattern this month.

As mentioned, I braved the rain and soggy ground to find a letterbox cache.  My one and only physical find for April.

That pink looking thing in the middle and basically on an island is the cache.  Somehow I was able to retrieve, sign and replace without getting my feet wet.

The Ducks were enjoying the new, temporary lake in the middle of the field near ground zero.  Now it's off to hide a geocache.  I would like to hide one per month and I haven't done so yet.  This is the last day of April.  I have an area of the city in mind for future puzzle caches.  Off I went and hid a bison tube on a sign post.  I haven't created the puzzle yet for submission.  Hopefully today.

That's the extent of my geocaching for April.  On a personal note, a couple of things happened.  I'm back at work.  I was cleared of any wrong doing, but I'm no longer on my floor.  I've been reassigned to a different role within the department.  

I started April with an abscessed tooth.  I was on antibiotics for that.  One of the antibiotics was Tylenol 3, or T3.  Great for pain relief, not so good for the weight.  After getting my tooth pulled, I was on a soft diet.  During the whole process, I saw my weight go up to 235lbs and drop down to 227lbs.  At the end of the month, my scale told me 228.4lbs  A drop of two pounds since last month.  I'll take that after watching my weight go up.  I've been doing more cardio and less weights lately.  Sixty minutes on the treadmill has been my workout lately.  I'm also doing more running.  

That's all for this month.  Hopefully the month of May will be more productive.  Until then, be happy, stay safe, hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  Peace out ✌️

All I have for one last picture is something that popped up on my FB memory.

This is from five years ago.  I had ended my daily streak by this point.  This cache was a zombie cache.  I've found 2,500 caches since this picture was taken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.