Skip to main content

Geocaching and June, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Better late than never.  I had started writing this with intentions of having it ready and published on the first Sunday of the month.  I got pulled away and never came back to complete this.  We've reached the half way point of 2022.  How's your year so far?

Comparing numbers, I only went out geocaching on six days in June.  Two of the six days produced some decent numbers for finds.  One of those days was traveling down to the Pembina Valley area of Manitoba.  This is situated towards the U.S. border.  Myself and my caching friend, Auntie Mo, attended a Community Celebration event at a location that I didn't know existed.  Thanks to geocaching, I now know about it and have been there.

This place is called Woodhenge.  There's nothing wooden about this location other than the trees that surround it.  You can read more about the creation of Woodhenge and the person behind it here > Woodhenge

My pictures don't really do the location any justice.  Some of these boulders are massive.

I tried doing a panoramic view, but that doesn't really capture the feeling, the awe you experience while you are there.

I'm about an inch shy of six feet tall.  Some of these boulders are just as tall or taller than me.

Auntie Mo is more interested in cool places and cool geocaches.  What better place in Manitoba to find cool gadget caches than the Winkler/Morden area of the Pembina Valley.  Two local geocachers have put out their fair share of gadget caches.  JAB007 and Awol.  Not all the caches we found on this day are from those two.  There are a couple that are owned by others that are very deserving of favorite points.

You've got mail.  An old Mac computer turned into a geocache.

A really cool travel bug hotel located along the highway.

One of Awol's caches.  You have to figure out the combination to get the log book.  I had the right idea to solve this and didn't know it.  Auntie Mo retraced my steps and discovered what I missed.

Another of Awol's caches.  I got this one last year, but I was with others that solved it.  I couldn't remember how it was done.  Fortunately, Awol was there watching, laughing, and providing hints as needed.

Geocaching Library by Hfriesen81.  You're provided the combination to the first lock.  Each of the 'books' inside have holes and only three line up to the numbers on the door.  That's the combination to the second lock on the side that has the log book.

I didn't do any caching on my bike in June.  I did manage to get a few rides in.  One of the rides I was invited to was a cycling group that was hosting an ice cream ride.  Starting at The Forks in downtown Winnipeg, we cycled to three different ice cream places for a treat.  The ride itself covered around 22 kilometers, but I had cycled from home.  For myself, I managed 33 kilometers for the day.  That's around 20 miles.  My monthly cycling total is around 112 kilometers or about 70 miles.  I like going on lengthy rides.  Preferably 20+ kilometers in length.  When I'm on my own, I've started a habit of stopping here and there for a photo opp that includes my bike.


As for geocaching numbers:  I cached on six days out of a possible thirty.  Total finds are thirty seven.  Traditional - 23.  Earthcache - 1.  Regular event, Community Celebration event, Mystery and Virtual all had two.  One Adventure Lab for five stages.

My weight keeps bouncing up and down.  If I'm not active for a couple of days, then the weight starts to creep up.  I'm not burning off enough calories than I'm consuming.  At the end of June, I clocked in at 224.8 pounds.  When I started this journey at the start of the year, I was 241.8 pounds.  My goal was to lose between twelve and twenty pounds in six months.  I lost seventeen pounds.  Six month goal has been accomplished.  Moving forward, my next goal is sort of the same.  Lose another twelve to twenty pounds, but in twelve months.  Fingers crossed that hopefully I'll be around the 210 pound mark by the end of June, 2023.

That is June in a nutshell.  There will be more adventures and bike rides in July.  Considering that it's the 8th of July as I write this, I have been on an adventure and a few bike rides, one of which includes a geocache.  Until next month, be happy, stay safe, hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  Peace out.  ✌️ 

There's always just one more picture.  Security cameras in use and might catch you signing this geocache.

This was after the picture of my bike on a path in the blog.  The trails near the river are no longer flooded, but they're still covered in deep river mud.  I was already scraping the mud off when I took this picture.  😳


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.