Skip to main content

Geocaching and Contests

 Good morning everyone.  It's off to New Mexico.  The odest active cache in that State is 'Open Speces 7' GC191.  This virtual was published in February, 2001.  It has 651 found logs and 138 favorite points.  The most favorite cache is also a virtual.  'Travel Bug Cafe' GCK21R was published in July, 2004.  It has been found 1,831 times and has 359 favorite points to date.

There's one thing that you'll always find somewhere on social media, and that's contests and giveaways.  For the most part, all you have to do is like the post, possibly tag a few friends and hope that you get picked as the winner.  Easy peasy.  Some require a little more effort.  There are three contests in September that I'm going to spotlight, mostly because I've entered these ones.  I'm sure I'll also be entering in to contests on the Worldwide Geocaching FB page.  They always have a contest going, and usually for travel bugs.  You can find their page here if you're not a member yet. > Worldwide Geocaching

First up is Cache Advance.  Lookout Lisa started a new FB page and with it comes some fun challenges.  You can find that page here > Cache Advance  The first one out of the gate is a t-shirt challenge.  For five days, we have to post a picture of our favorite geocaching t-shirts.  That's easy for me to do as I have five geocaching related t-shirts to share.  I also have two hoodies, but those don't really count.  I have posted pictures of my geocaching related clothing in the past, so for this contest, I took pictures again and explained why these are my favorite geocaching clothes.  For the sake of this blog, I'll just post the first one individually and the other four in a group shot.  The first shirt I submitted was one that was given to me for my birthday by another geocacher, Auntie Mo.  When I sit and think about it, that was five years ago.  It's amazing how time flies.  I always loved the saying on the shirt.  "Don't mess with a geocacher.  We know all the best places to hide a body." 

 


The other four are shirts that I purchased in support of other geocaching creators.  Cache Canada, Cache the Line, Geocaching Jangie, and the Geocaching Podcast.  One day I'll look into adding to my collection of t-shirts.  I've never been to a mega event so I don't have any of those t-shirts.  By the time this is published, the t-shirt contest will have run it's course.  Hopefully I win something.  Fingers crossed.  I'm writing this earlier in the week, before the contest is done as I'm going camping again.  

 


Next up is the monthly challenge put out by Cache Advance and the Geocaching Vlogger.  This month's challenge is very similar to the weekly one that I've just mentioned. You need to submit a picture of yourself, finding a geocache while wearing a geocaching wearable.  That can be anything from a t-shirt, hoodie, hat, whatever you have.  I had some errands to do on the first day this contest went live.  I put on my "Don't mess with a geocacher" t-shirt, my geocaching hoodie (it was windy and a little cool out that day), and my geocaching hat because I was having a bad hair day.  I picked out a geocache that was along my route and found it.  Good thing I found it when I did.  The CO came along sometime after I found it and disabled his caches for the winter.  That geocache also gave me another stamp in the Wonders of the World virtual challenge.  I now have six of the fourteen required.  It also gives me 175 points in the Memory Lane challenge.  As you can see, I'm in no hurry to complete either of these challenges.  Back to the contest...  I took a selfie and submitted my e-mail to Joshua, the Geocaching Vlogger.  I am entered.  Fingers crossed that I win this month.  You can catch the video to this contest here > Cache Advance & Geocaching Vlogger monthly challenge  

 


The next contest is something new from Geocaching Jangie.  She has started a monthly photo contest with the winner drawn at random from all the entries for a chance to win a trackable.  For September, you need to find a micro and take a fun, creative picture.  My one and only find this month wasn't a micro, so I'll have to go out and find one.  If I could have submitted an older picture, I would have chosen this one.  It's from a couple of summers ago when I went down to North Dakota and Minnesota for a weekend.  Local cacher, Whiskey Sowers likes to add a little something extra to her micro containers.  Usually it's the google eyes.  I find it very creative and makes a micro find that much better.  I was FTF on that particualr cache too.  You can read more about Geocaching Jangie's contest here > Geocaching Jangie Micro contest  There's still time to enter this one and the Cache Advance monthly challenge.  



I have won a few things over the years from entering contests.  The first thing I ever won was a pathtag from a contest on Instagram.  All I had to do was like the post to be entered.  I remember getting a message saying I won while I was driving home from finding a geocache.  How appropriate.  It was my very first pathtag and I still have it hanging off my rear view mirror, along with one of my own trackables, a nano container from one of my own caches that's been archived since, and a bracelet that was given to me by sm66 that has the coordinates to our very first date.  That contest was held by a geocacher in North Dakota.  That had to be about six years ago.  Little did I know then that I would become friends and be working with that geocacher (she goes by the name of Geocaching Jangie) as a co-administrator to The Geocaching Guild FB page today.  You can read more about the Guild here > The Geocaching Guild/  

 


It's always fun to enter contests.  You can't win all the time, but you'll never win if you don't enter.  For the most part, all it takes is a couple of seconds to click on the thumbs up or the heart to a post.  Easy Peasy.  Who doesn't like getting geocaching swag in the mail?  You still have time to enter a couple of these contests that I talked about.  Until next week, be happy, stay safe, hug your loved ones if you can, enjoy life, and most of all, have fun.  Peace out.



Keeping the kitties entertained.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little...

Geocaching and the Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series

 Good morning everyone.  I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with this opening paragraph.  It should be something that's interesting, a fun fact about geocaching.  Stay tuned.  Hopefully soon. Last week I mentioned going on an adventure, scouting out places for an Adventure Lab.  Today is the results of that day.   The pictures didn't download in their proper order, so I'll just go with the flow of the pictures and there's plenty of pictures.  The Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series - Austin MacGregor has ten stages.  I did scout out more than ten locations plus I found a few geocaches as well.  Let's see where last Sunday took me. Four of my stops are at cairns commemorating previous schools or school divisions.  These are things I discovered because of geocaching.  This one is for the Image Hill school.  You don't see the plaque because an answer to a question is on it.  Although, if you look...

Geocaching and May, 2022

Good morning everyone, In the past, I've always wrote about my geocaching experiences first, followed by an update on my weight loss.  This month I'm combining the two since they were intertwined together somewhat.  Now that the weather has finally improved, I can make good on one of my goals.  Ride my bike more this year.  What is more?  I don't think I rode it at all last year, and I couldn't say for sure the year before that.   The first thing I needed to do was buy a helmet.  I'm old school when it comes to wearing a bike helmet.  Didn't grow up wearing one (no one did), so why do I need one now?  I'm not getting any younger and I should look after myself, and that includes wearing a bike helmet. Now that I have a helmet, I'm off to explore bike paths.  That's another thing I didn't have growing up; designated bike paths.  And while I'm out riding my bike, I might stop for a geocache or two or three. ...