Skip to main content

Geocaching and the February Photo Contest.

 Good morning everyone.  We're off to Illinois this week, home of "da bears", and The Geocaching Podcast.  The oldest and the geocache with the most favorite points is 'Beverly's  GC28.  Placed in May 2000, this cache has been found 3,789 times and has 1,573 favorite points.  The cache with the most found logs is 'Cloud Gate aka The Bean'  GCJZDR.  Placed in July of 2004, this virtual has been logged as found 8,501 times and has received 1,429 favorite points.

It's time to wrap up the January photo contest.  First up are the entries in no particular order.  The theme was to find a geocache in the snow.  If you didn't have snow in your area, then what does Winter look like where you live?  


First up is RMNP_SasquatchTeam.  That could have been me trying to cross a ditch to a geocache last week.  I sank in the snow.  Looks like the little one didn't.


Entrant #2 is from KennyMasonMady.  Not much snow there, but it looks very mucky and cold.  


The next entrant is Stonagal.  In the foreground is his son in a stroller looking at Vimy Bridge crossing the Rideau River.


Entrant #4 is from elicalli. That is a big container.  It'll take a lot of snow to bury that one.


#5 is from Snappleandzarfle.  Is it good luck when a bird lands on your head?



The last entry is from MuDac.  There isn't any snow there, but it still looks chilly.

I entered all the names into the random name wheel.


Gave it a spin (hard to tell that it's spinning in a still picture)


**drum roll 🥁 **


MuDac is the winner of the January photo contest.  Congratulations.  She wins the fridge magnet, pathtag, and trackable button as seen further down as well as a pathtag that was donated by PTROL64 that arrived this week in the mail.



I've been thinking about what the February contest should be.  The 14th is Valentines Day and the 15th is Singles Awareness Day.  If you go caching with a partner, send a picture of the two of you finding a geocache.  If you're a solo geocacher, send in a picture of yourself finding a geocache.  Thank you to everyone who entered.  As for the prizes, I'll leave that up to the winner.  They will have a choice of....


A trackable button, pathtag, and fridge magnet.  Or....


This trackable geomedal that I just ordered from I.B. Geocaching.  Good luck to everyone who enters.

Until next week, be happy, stay safe, wash your hands and wear a mask, hug your furry critters, and most importantly, have fun.  Peace out.


Down in front.  I can't see the video game.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little...

Geocaching and the Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series

 Good morning everyone.  I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with this opening paragraph.  It should be something that's interesting, a fun fact about geocaching.  Stay tuned.  Hopefully soon. Last week I mentioned going on an adventure, scouting out places for an Adventure Lab.  Today is the results of that day.   The pictures didn't download in their proper order, so I'll just go with the flow of the pictures and there's plenty of pictures.  The Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab Series - Austin MacGregor has ten stages.  I did scout out more than ten locations plus I found a few geocaches as well.  Let's see where last Sunday took me. Four of my stops are at cairns commemorating previous schools or school divisions.  These are things I discovered because of geocaching.  This one is for the Image Hill school.  You don't see the plaque because an answer to a question is on it.  Although, if you look...

Geocaching and May, 2022

Good morning everyone, In the past, I've always wrote about my geocaching experiences first, followed by an update on my weight loss.  This month I'm combining the two since they were intertwined together somewhat.  Now that the weather has finally improved, I can make good on one of my goals.  Ride my bike more this year.  What is more?  I don't think I rode it at all last year, and I couldn't say for sure the year before that.   The first thing I needed to do was buy a helmet.  I'm old school when it comes to wearing a bike helmet.  Didn't grow up wearing one (no one did), so why do I need one now?  I'm not getting any younger and I should look after myself, and that includes wearing a bike helmet. Now that I have a helmet, I'm off to explore bike paths.  That's another thing I didn't have growing up; designated bike paths.  And while I'm out riding my bike, I might stop for a geocache or two or three. ...