Skip to main content

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later.

July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event.

July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well.

(big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba)

(big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba)

Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milestone and has seen some very cool places.

I have been riding my bike.  One particular day, I dropped my car off for servicing and a couple of new tires.  While that was happening, I made my way to Assiniboine Park and snagged a virtual cache.

It was from a group bike ride that I was invited to in June that gave me the idea of a weekly summer geocaching event.  That bike ride, we rode to three different ice cream places.  For my event, each week we visit a different ice cream shop around the city.  As I write this, I have hosted four events so far with seven more regular weekly events to come.  To cap it off, I'm hosting my own Community Celebration Event on September 21st, and it ties in with the ice cream events.  That's a total of twelve different independent businesses that we'll be visiting.  There's more places that didn't make this year's summer tour.  Maybe next year?

A couple of pictures from the most recent event.  We even had three geocachers from the Netherlands stop by.  How cool was that.


The reason why I want to get this blog out early is because I joined the Great Cycle Challenge.  For the month of August, I'll be riding my bike to raise money towards fighting kids cancer.  I've seen other geocachers doing this in previous years.  It was at an earlier ice cream event that I was talking to the Sweethearts14 about this.  It's so easy to join and you set your own goals.  I had started with 100 kilometers (around 62 miles), but I thought that was too easy, so I increased it to 200 kilometers (124 miles).  I'm hoping to raise five hundred dollars towards fighting kids cancer.  You can sponsor me here > Great Cycle Challenge 

It is important to note for those that live outside of Canada.  You will be charged in Canadian funds and your bank might charge you for an international transaction.  There is an 'other' option where you can donate your own amount (five dollars).


The back of my shirt that I purchased for this challenge.

As for my personal weight loss challenge, that took a hit this month.  It's a very long story, but in a nutshell, I'm off work again.  This time for stress leave.  Early retirement could come into play.  Even though I've been riding my bike, I still gained weight.  Hopefully cycling 200 kilometers will get me back on track towards losing weight.

I've been debating if I should include my July numbers since July isn't over yet.  There's still two more days of potential bike riding and geocaching.  So far, I've been on six bike rides, all with a minimum of 20 kilometers in distance.  My longest was just over 35 kilometers.  My total distance for July (so far) is 157.19 kilometers.  I think two hundred kilometers for August is a good, reasonable goal.

So far, I have seventy one finds for July.  20 traditional, 5 events, 2 virtual, 2 multi-stage, 1 mystery, and 40 stages of Adventure Labs (8 complete 5 stage ALs).  There is an event on Sunday, plus I was invited to go hiking in the Whiteshell on Saturday.  I'm sure there'll be a couple caches found on each day.

That's been my July so far.  With Auntie Mo reaching her 800th find, I have set a goal of reaching my 7,000th by October 12th.  I'm at 6,847 right now.  About seventy five finds per month.  Until next month, be happy, stay safe, hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  If you do choose to sponsor my bike challenge, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  ❤️🙏.  Peace out ✌️


There's always just a few more pictures to share.  My bike at a Spirit Wolf sculpture.
An old church that I came across in my geocaching travels.

My new motto.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q