Skip to main content

Geocaching and Roadside Attractions

Good morning everyone.  Welcome to blog #4.  This week I want to discuss the roadside attractions we find in our travels while geocaching.  For those not familiar with roadside attractions, or know them by another name, they are essentially a large statue or monument, often depicting something of the town or area it's located.  Some are very unusual and are more of a tourist attraction.  Most, but not all may have a geocache hidden within close proximity of the statue.  I have planned day trips where I've set out to get pictures of some roadside attractions and find geocaches along the way.

Picking up where I left off with last week's blog, I'm caching along Highway #5 in North Dakota.  This is after my dead cat encounter.  I've made my way to Dunseith.  This area of North Dakota is part of Turtle Mountain, an area that stretches to the Canadian side of the border.  The area is named after the numerous painted turtles found in the area (I Googled that, LOL).  It's only fitting that the roadside attraction found here is a turtle, but not just any turtle.  This turtle is made up of 2,000 tire rims welded together.
There is a cache here.  It's magnetic.  You've heard of the proverbial needle in the haystack?  Here's a geocaching version of that saying.  Needless to say, I DNF'd this one.  Although I did notice that all vehicles in town had no tires.  Hmmmm.  

I carried on down the road, eventually finding myself in the town of Bottineau.  I found another turtle statue.  This one is 'Tommy the Turtle', a talented turtle capable of operating a snowmobile.  I have to give Tommy credit for thinking safety.  He is wearing a helmet.
There was a geocache hidden here.  It may have been missing already when I came.  Hampering my search was a bunch of kids playing on the turtle.  Another DNF.  Looking at the geocaching site, there is no longer a geocache listed here.  Not to be left out, there is a town on the Canadian side of the border, Boissevain, Manitoba.  It is straight up the highway from Dunseith.  They have their own 'Tommy the Turtle', but no geocache is hidden here.  I visited this one on a separate caching trip with another geocacher, Auntie Mo.  On that trip, we came across a large fire hydrant, glass bottle house and church, Sara the Camel, Dutch style windmill, a wild turkey, and of course, Tommy the Turtle.
There was one more monument I came across on that trip to North Dakota.  I had been to this one back in 2007, on a family vacation to Mt. Rushmore.  This one is in Rugby.  It is the geographical center of North America.  My third DNF.  It didn't help that it was starting to get dark out.
I have come across many other roadside attractions in my travels and plan on seeing more.  One particular one is located north of Winnipeg in the town of Winnipeg Beach.  It is part of the Whispering Giant series, created by artist Peter Wolf Toth.  There are approximately 74 of these sculptures across America, with only two in Canada.  This one was part of a day trip I took with the purpose of 'discovering' more roadside attractions, (That trip netted me 8 roadside attractions, 26 traditional caches and 1 multi).  There is a Peter Toth sculpture in the Mandan/Bismarck area of North Dakota and North Dakota's oldest active cache isn't far away.  Hmmmmm.  That could be a possible weekend trip in the making.  I have been to 40 of these attractions so far.  I hope to add to that list this year.  Is there a roadside attraction near you?  Is there a geocache hidden there?  If not, what are you waiting for?
That's it for this week.  As my oldest boy, Duesenberg 2002 says, 'peace out'.  Remember, geocaching is meant to be fun.  Enjoy.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.