Skip to main content

Geocaching and the cache owner part 1

Good morning everyone.

For this week, I want to look further into a question that was asked on USGeocachingHour a couple of weeks ago.  As a cache owner, when should you archive a cache that you own?  It is of common belief that a cache should be archived by the owner if the container has gone missing and the owner doesn't feel like replacing it.  Some will archive if they are moving away and won't be able to maintain or if they're no longer geocaching.  Some caches get archived by the reviewer as the cache owner has basically fallen off the face of the earth and is not maintaining their cache that's in need of repair or replacement.

Should a cache be archived for the purpose of placing a new cache by the same owner?  That was the question put out there.  On one hand, you have a cache that's seeing very little activity, so why not archive it, place a new container, or same container with a fresh log sheet to generate more activity.  There is the argument that doing this is strictly about the numbers.  A new listing with a new FTF, another find for all those who have been to that GZ before.  More found logs for the owner, increasing their Caching Karma.  None of this would be possible if the cache was never archived in the first place.

However, if you archive that cache, that removes another cache that was published that month, that year.  Geocaches will be archived over time for the above mentioned reasons.  That may not sound like a big deal, but in the big picture of things, it could be.  What if that cache you own, that only saw two found log entries last year, becomes one of very few caches still available for that particular month?  Again, that may not seem like a big deal, unless you're working on a challenge cache that requires you finding a cache that was published in that given month.  Maybe it's needed for a Jasmer hit?  Yes, all the 'regulars' have found that cache when it came out, but what about the newcomers?

It's because of that question that has me wondering if I should archive some of my lesser found caches.  I don't count my mystery caches as not everyone likes doing puzzles.  I do have one puzzle cache that isn't a simple, straight forward solve.  So the found logs will be fewer for those.  After checking the number of found logs on some of my traditional caches, I do have one that was only found twice last year.  If I was to archive it and replace it with another cache, it wouldn't be a traditional, but a new puzzle cache.  As already mentioned, puzzle caches don't usually generate as many found logs as a traditional would so it wouldn't be about more found logs.

The cache in question, along with others that I'm thinking of archiving, were all published between 2013 and 2015.  Not that old per-say.  Other than replacing the log sheet, I've never had to do any other maintenance or replace the container.  Another just happens to be my first ever hide.  A little bit of sentimental attachment there.  One of the ones I'm referring to is the start/end point of a walking mini power trail.  There was eight caches in total in that 'walking series'.  Half have been archived since and good chance at least one more will be given it's last rights.

So I continue to wrestle with this dilemma.  Out with the somewhat old and in with something newer and different?  What hasn't been mentioned is that the virtual locations of the new puzzle caches will eventually form an 'X', or a simple geo-art.  Add that little wrinkle to the whole situation.  I won't be doing anything just yet.  Not until after the snow melts.  As I was composing this, two of the caches I'm thinking of archiving were apparently found yesterday by a new cacher with only 8 finds so far.


If I archive them, I have to make sure to remove the containers, if they're still there.  The container in this picture isn't any of the ones I'm thinking of archiving.  This one was hidden in a favorite park of mine that I like to go walking in.  I got a couple of DNFs in the fall one year so I went to investigate.  I couldn't find it, so I replaced it.  Spring came and I received a couple of found logs stating there are two containers there.  What the....??  I go back to investigate and sure enough there are two containers.  My replacement and the original.  Not sure what happened to the original.  It's fairly chewed up.  A squirrel maybe??  

I just submitted the next puzzle in my monthly series.  I feel bad for those who found the existing puzzles yesterday.  Now they have to come back to the area again.  I still have 9 more months and 9 more puzzles to submit.  One per month with the month in the title.

So that's a small geocaching project I'm working on and what I'm potentially facing to accomplish my project.  Until next week, peace out, enjoy, and remember, geocaching is suppose to be fun. 
 

Comments

  1. I'll expand a bit on what I said during #usgeocachinghour . If someone is an active Cache Owner, then it's up to them what they want to do. I think it's too much to put the burden of other player's stats on the shoulders of the CO. Yes, I am disappointed when a cache on my to-do list gets archived--especially puzzles I've solved--but that has taught me I can't always wait to try to get them. The game moves on.

    The other thing I mentioned that night is the Ocala First To Find Frenzy. They've been doing this event for 6 years now, and it's just a different facet of geocaching. They put out hundreds of new caches (thanks to our reviewer for working with them!) for this event, and people only get the GPS coordinates at the event that morning. Then they pass out the GPS units and everyone scrambles to get some FTFs! It's a lot of fun and those that show up enjoy it :) They tend to leave the caches in place for 2-3 years, then archive for the next year's event. I've always been a bit slow on the finding, but this year I hope to go for broke!

    Those same cachers have other hides unrelated to the event, that have been in place for years. As far as padding stats, the caches for the event have been hidden under a group name for the last few years, so none of the individuals are getting "credit" for that.

    There are always people upset about something. I try to ignore it (unless they are upset about my pet peeve issues ;) ) and just play the game as best I can. I do look at my stats and I have goals I want to accomplish. I don't really get invested in anyone else's stats, but I will admire them or use them as a challenge.

    Ok, I'm getting off-topic of archiving caches. Basically: COs, do what you want (after I've found your cache) :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q