Skip to main content

Geocaching and Logging Etiquette

Good morning everyone.  Happy Earth Day.  Did you attend a CITO event or plan to?  I made it out to one on Saturday with one more today.  All this will be documented in a future blog.  On to this week's blog.  This week's fun fact is all about the most countries with a found geocache.  In Canada, K-Romers from Nova Scotia have successfully cached in 97 countries on 6 continents.  In the States, it's Hid Pro Quo with 111 countries on 6 continents.  Retired Guy, who was recently on GeocacheTalk is 4th with 93 countries and all 7 continents.

This week I want to look at a topic that can be a heated issue on some of the FB groups.  Logging Etiquette.  What is it?  What is correct and what isn't?  While there are some base rules when it comes to Geocaching, there isn't a template as to what a proper log should look like.  When I got started in this hobby, I was told that when I log my find online, to write something.  Possibly the condition of the cache or the log sheet.  I've always tried to have something in my log.  What brought me to the area.  Was it an easy find, a tricky one, did I spend more time than I should have.  Two things is a permanent fixture of my logs, what number find that particular cache is and a thank you to the cache owner for hiding the cache.

When Geocaching started, it was a GPSr based hobby.  You found the cache with the aid of a GPSr, went home on logged your find on your computer.  Today, with smart phones and apps, you can do everything without a GPSr and a home computer.  This changes the way found caches are logged online.

As a cache owner, I cringe at the "TFTC" logs.  They don't say anything.  Cache owners would like to read something, maybe something funny that happened, but more importantly, how is the container and log sheet holding up.  Logs that are short like "TFTC" or "Found it" make me wonder if that person really did find the cache.  However, with the use of smart phones, you can type your found log right at GZ.  Are you willing to type a story on your phone, particularly if the weather isn't favourable?  Probably not.  So a "TFTC" will suffice so you can move on.  Some will go home and add to the log later.  Some will not.  Me personally, I wait until I get home to log my finds.  This allows me to compose a proper log if that cache requires one.  This is a sample of a couple of logs to one of my caches: "Beausejour Is That Way" GC7AEPA

If I'm out looking for a cache and I'm having some difficulty, I will read previous logs.  There might be something there that could help me.  That "TFTC" log is of no help at all.  Was the coordinates off?  Did someone provide updated coordinates?  Maybe I can pick up on a hint/clue from a previous log.

Another log that will occur and I will do this to a certain degree is cut and paste.  You log one find on your computer, copy it, then paste it to all your other finds for that day.  If you just did a power trail and have 100+ caches to log, who wants to compose an individual log for each and everyone?  It will take you just as long to log all those caches as it did to find them.  Copy and paste.  I will tweak each one to give it it's own personal touch.  My cache found count will be adjusted and if anything particular happened at that particular one.  As a cache owner, I do recognize that majority of my caches are in a couple of clusters.  34 of the 50 caches that I own (minus the events I have hosted) are either around my work, or in the town of Beausejour, Manitoba.  I have in the past and will in the future receive cut and paste logs for my caches.  I'm ok with that.  I do notice that there is a touch of individuality to a found log.  

What do you do if you forgot your pen?  Can you still claim the cache as found?  Technically, no.  A signed log sheet/book is evidence that you were there and you did indeed find the cache.  If your name isn't on the log, the owner can delete your find.  There are caches that specify that you must get your hands on the cache and sign the log sheet.  "Zach's Place" GC1HC4Y is an example of this.  I have found this one, but for the longest time, I would pass by, knowing where this cache was, and I could see it too, but until I had my hands on it, I couldn't log it as found. 
For myself, I'm not that picky as comparing the log sheet to the online logs seems to be more work than necessary.  Some cache owners will do that though.  As for forgetting a pen, who goes caching without a pen?  I always have pens with me.  If not on me, then in my car.  I have gone and found a cache, reach for my pen only to find it's not there.  Back to the car I go to get a pen to sign.  I usually do a quick check before setting off on foot to find a geocache.  Pen - yes.  Phone - yes.  Car keys - yes.  I'm good to go.

What if the lid is frozen shut or stuck and you can't open it?  Some will take a picture as proof they did find the cache and send it to the cache owner.  Is this acceptable?  Again, technically no.  Your name still isn't on the log sheet, but owners are usually understanding and will allow this practice, but don't be surprised if one owner says no.

Since Geocaching is a family friendly activity, logs with profanity is totally not acceptable.  As tempted as you may be to vent in your log after spending a half hour or longer searching for a nano in a pine tree, it's still not acceptable to use bad language.  I have come across logs with profanity.  First step is to contact to cache owner so they can delete the log.  Failing that, contact Geocaching HQ.  They will deal with it.

Don't we all love signing a nano log sheet?  The squares to sign are barely big enough to get your initials squeezed in.  Don't take more space than required.  Doing that is frowned on.  Unless you can write really tiny, you may not get the date in the square.

Then there's the Did Not Find (DNF) log.  When I first started caching, I was embarrassed to log a DNF.  Everyone else was finding it but me.  I must look like a real newb.  I do log DNFs now if I'm convinced that the cache is indeed missing.  I will sometimes use the 'write a note' feature if I didn't give it a real effort or if it's a tricky hide and the CO was there recently to confirm the cache is there.  A DNF log for the cache owner could indicate there may be a problem and owner maintenance is needed.  Be proud of your DNFs.  Without the DNF logs, owners won't know there's a potential problem.

That is a quick look at some logging etiquette.  There are no hard rules and it's all up to the individual on how they play.  Be respectful of how each person interprets the rules.  Geocaching is meant to be fun.  Until next week, peace out and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by