Skip to main content

Geocaching and Father's Day.

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact is all about my neighbour to the West, Saskatchewan (easy to draw, hard to spell). 
*Oldest: Sask-cache-one (GC14F) placed January 7, 2001
*Highest elevation: SSGT Beautifully Hidden (GC1WX6E) 4,459ft
*Lowest elevation: Athabasca or bust (GC2CE9Q) 679ft [and only found twice]
*Most favorite: Westcan 7 Feature Cache (GC78ZAB) with 181 points [Sask-cache-one is second with 121]
*Top hider: bennykidd - 780
*Top finder: scratch1 - 28,506
*Longest daily streak: hurleyanne - 1,639 days

Happy Father's Day to all the geocaching Dads out there and even the non-geocaching Dads.  I am a Dad myself to two boys and I'm very proud of what they've accomplished so far.  They do have geocaching accounts, even though they (actually me) haven't logged a find in almost three years.  They have been on a few adventures with their Dad.  Sometimes it requires a little bribery to get them to tag along.  A visit to a video game store or a Tim Horton's after we find a geocache will have them grudgingly going along.
 
(standing on a frozen creek to get a cache)

My oldest, Duesenberg 2002, was eager at first when I started geocaching.  We would go walking the trails of a park near our home (Little Mountain Park) finding geocaches.  We soon found ourselves doing some bushwhacking to get to GZ.  This would be my first experience trudging through the bush for the sake of claiming a geocache as found.  I would quickly learn that geocaching in the bush while wearing shorts and sandles isn't the best idea (even though I still go bushwhacking in shorts).  Playgrounds were always a good place to go geocaching.  The boys would play on the structure while Dad searched for the geocache that was hidden somewhere in the park.  The hardest part was getting them away from the structure so we can move on to the next geocache.

When I started blogging, I asked my boys what memories they had about geocaching.  The first one that d-2002 came up with was one particular Saturday afternoon when it was my weekend with them.  There was one geocache that I had attempted that was located in a back alley.  I was in plain sight of all the houses surrounding the area.  I came back with the boys in tow.  The GPS was pointing me to one side of the alley that didn't really offer up much for a host.  Having the boys with me made me look less suspicious.  As I searched where the GPS was pointing me and expanding my search, d-2002 went even further with his search.  Soon I heard "I found it".  On the other side of the alley, about a house or two down from where I was searching was a telephone pole that had the cache tucked inside.  The coordinates were off by a little bit.
(a more recent pic of d-2002 as we did one of the newer virtual caches)

My youngest is Mew Two.  If I need someone to climb a tree, Mew Two is my go to person.  Mew Two's contribution to what was his first story was the very first geocache he found on his own.  Very early into my geocaching days, I was attending my high school's 50th anniversary.  Afterwards, I made my way across the street to find a cache along with Mew Two and d-2002.  It was a pine tree hide.  We searched and searched and couldn't find anything.  Giving up, we were about to head back to the car when Mew Two asked why a battery was in a tree.  Huh??  In a tree that we didn't search in (there was a few trees here), was a bison tube hanging off a branch.  Found it.
(Mew Two way up in a tree looking for a geocache)

Mew Two also owns a geocache.  He wanted to hide one but needed a container and a place to hide it.  One day, he proclaims that an empty Lay's chip can would be the container.  "Really?  You couldn't pick something smaller?"  LOL  I taped it up and we went in search of a hiding spot.  I thought we found the perfect place, only to be rejected because we were to close to one of the stages of a multi that I didn't find yet (I have since found it).  I recalled another geocache getting archived in my favorite park, Kildonan Park.  The location is right by Rainbow Stage, an outdoor theatre.  The boys were with me when we had found that cache and I knew this spot will work.  Almost three years later and that cache is still there.  Some weird things have happened over the years, including the container going missing twice, only to reappear again.  I also found a different container nearby with some weathered paper inside.  After doing some research, I soon concluded that this was the archived cache (I still have that container).

The boys don't do much geocaching at all nowadays.  I think my daily streak may have killed it for them.  They also dislike events so I can't take them to those either, even if it includes food.  I don't think they mind Earthcaches as you have the chance to learn something and discover new places.
(if we didn't stop for slurpees, we might have had first to find on this one, LOL)

(another adventure with Mew Two)

That's it for this week.  What adventures will all you Dads out there go on with your younger cachers?  Until then, be safe, peace out (d-2002 says that a lot), enjoy, and remember, geocaching is meant to be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q