Skip to main content

Geocaching and Geo-partners

Good morning everyone.  In honor of Joshua, the Geocaching Vlogger's visit to Germany, this week's fun facts is all about Germany.
* Oldest cache: Medieval View (GC26C) placed February, 2001
* Highest elevation: Die Geologie der Zugspitze (GC5FZ3M)  9,573ft
* Lowest elevation (active): Der Schatz der weißen Falken (GC3T13G) -696ft
* Most Favorite: Lego - einer ist zuviel (GC13Y2Y) 9,276 points
* Top hider: Graveraver 1,451 hidden
* Top finder (with a profile): Landmaus 82,132 caches found.
* Top daily streaker: kohlenpott 4,004 days

As I sit down to compose a blog, I have a bunch of ideas floating around.  Either in my head, on paper, or in draft form here on Blogger.  One of the ideas I have is from a question I saw on social media somewhere.  Do you geocache with someone or go alone?  Just today, Cache Canada posted on their FB page, their question of the day.  "Do you have a regular cache partner or do you mainly cache solo?".  I answered that I'm a Lone Wolf.  As I thought about it after, am I really a Lone Wolf when it comes to geocaching?

I have gone on many adventures on my own, within the city, across Southern Manitoba, from border to border, and even into North Dakota and Minnesota.  The benifit of going solo is easy planning.  You don't have to coordinate schedules with another cacher.  You can change your plans on the fly if you so wish.  I usually have a goal of some kind that I want to accomplish as well.  I can set the pace, take breaks when I want to, basically going at the beat of my own drum.

The more I think about this, the more I realize I've been with many, many other geocachers.  It's either a single find, probably after an event, or a planned outing with others.  There is a challenge cache in these parts where you need to find 20 different geocaches, with 20 different geocachers, on 20 different days.  I have that completed a couple of years ago.  That means I've been with at least 20 different geocachers to begin with. 
(myself and VA as part of a geo-friendship challenge)

I have been on group outings and I have bumped into other geocachers in the course of finding geocaches.
(bumped into okeefek and cached together in Pinawa, Manitoba)

Aside from my boys, who tag along grudgingly, I did have a regular cache partner in Auntie Mo.  We have been on many adventures together, sharing memories and laughs.  I'm not sure how many caches we've found together and how many adventures we've been on, but they were all fun.

I would have to go through all my found logs to see who I have found caches with.  I always mention who was with me in my logs.  Just off the top of my head, I did a portion of the Winnipeg River Power Trail with angelFreak and her then boyfriend DrewHouse.  We did 132 caches that day. 
(celebrating our 100th find of the day)

Just recently, I did about a third of a Geo-art with local vlogger Hakliva and AF Girl as part of the Planetary Pursuit challenge from Geocaching HQ.
(Hakliva & myself finding an ammo can as part of Cache Advance monthly challenge)

I went caching in the South-East part of the province with ShopCrazy and his boys, finding really old caches and a zombie cache.

One of my first group outings was a couple of years ago in Beaudry Park, just outside of the city.  It was a fun and interesting experience as a group of us found caches leading into the park as well as in the park.
(from L to R: TSK, VA, S-DK (standing in front of VA), GroovyPinkSocks (holding a phone up high), 4elements5senses (in front of GPS), kanedotca, and rurbonas)

As I sit here thinking about my past adventures, it has occured to me that I've teamed up with missionMode a few times for some caches.  One time, we did two night caches in Assiniboine park/forest.  On another occassion, we also did an island cache, located on the Assiniboine river. 
(myself, missionMode, & angelFreak)

Until recently, I had sm66, a very casual travel partner.  Our first outing was Hecla Island, two hours North of the city.  Just recently, we went for a drive up to Pinawa.  sm66 has since decided to (as Snagglepuss would say), exit, stage left.  I find myself being a Lone Wolf once again, and I think that's why I gave the answer to Cache Canada's qustion that I did.  Although, I am taking applications for future travel partners.  LOL.

I know there are many others that I have found geocaches with.  I don't have pics of many of them.  I do look forward to finding caches with others.  It's always fun and the company is always good.

As this gets published, I'll be packing up my campsite at the NDGCA (North Dakota Geocaching Association) caching and camping event.  I'll have added more names of people I have had the pleasure of finding caches with.  You'll be able to read about that and the event in a future blog.

Until next time, be safe, enjoy, peace out, and remember, geocaching is suppose to be fun.




Comments

  1. I understand that geocaching is a fun and very challenging hobby for a lot of people around the globe. I do, however, caution that it is just a hobby and not a way of life or a career and one can become easily consumed by the challenges of geocaching. Geocacher Ken does remind us that geocaching is supposed to be fun, and for the most part I am sure it is. Coming from what you geocachers call a "muggle" I am rather taken back by the all consuming competitiveness that I have seen since knowing Ken. As he so eloquently put..I did the exit stage left. And as a "muggle" I feel that there is a time and place for a hobby and no hobby should ever take precedence over love or family, and that is what I was faced with...hence the exit stage left. All you geocachers enjoy your hobby, but be cautious of how much it consumes your life, because in the end this hobby, as it is fun, will not be holding your hand through life or love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.