Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Giga weekend

Good morning everyone.  It's back.  After last week's DNF, fun facts has returned with most Letterbox caches found.  In Canada, that would be joce13 with 993.  In the States, it's Alamogul with 2,026.  A very close second is Ground Fox with 2,015.

Last weekend was GeoWoodstock 2018 in Cincinnati, Ohio.  This year marks the first year it has been given the "Giga" status.  How did it become a Giga?  According to Geocaching.com, a Giga-event cache is a geocaching event that is attended by 5,000+ people.  As I type this, 4,082 people have logged it as attended.  Giga-events are the largest of the event cache types and feature excellent activities for geocachers attending from all over the world.  How did GeoWoodstock get to be a Giga-event?  Giga-events must first be very successful Mega-events.  Geocaching HQ reviews existing Mega-events to see if they qualify for Giga status.

GeoWoodstock is THE event to attend on this side of the planet.  It even attracts geocachers from overseas.  Geocachers plan their  vacations around GeoWoodstock.  Have you attended any of the GeoWoodstocks?  Have you attended any other Mega-events?  Sadly, I have not been to either of these types of events.  I would love to attend, mostly to experience an event of this magnitude.  With that said, I wasn't in Cincinnati to attend the first ever Giga-event in North America.

So what does a geocacher do when they can't attend a large event?  They go geocaching of course.  That's what I did during Giga weekend.  My weekend didn't start out with geocaching though.  It was spent with my girlfriend, sm66, her sister and husband, and their daughter and boyfriend (all muggles by the way) on a Friday evening taking in some horse racing.  I have been to the track in the past, but as a DJ for a couple of Christmas parties.  This was a first for the horse races.  It was fun, watching the different strategies on what horse to bet on.  sm66 and her sister grew up around horses.  In fact, sm66 was a barrel racer in her younger days.  They were watching the horses during the parade to the post, then deciding what horse to bet on.  My strategy was simple, bet on the #2 horse, no matter what the odds were.  I actually bet on two races and walked away $1.50 to the good.  Now to decide where to spend my winnings.  LOL.

Saturday was geocaching.  I had a goal in mind.  Find eight geocaches.  As mentioned in a previous blog, some of my adventures are stats based.  This was one of the dates that has three finds in total.  I'm trying to replace all dates with three finds with a higher number, or complete my fourth loop of the date found calendar.  There isn't much to find around Beausejour for me.  I've either found it, own it, or it has a string of DNFs and probably missing.  With my I-pod back in the car for another summer of rockin' good tunes, I made the trek out to Selkirk to begin my adventure.  My first few attempts were DNFs.  My caching mojo wasn't fully awake just yet.  I headed West from there.  If I kept getting DNFs, then I knew of some Letterbox caches that should be a safe bet to find.  As I pulled up close to one GZ, I knew it was another 200 meters walking from the road.  There was a little bit of an approach from the road, probably more for tractors and farm machinery.  It looked safe enough to drive on.  Away I went, drove up to GZ, made the find, and backed out without getting stuck.
 Onward down the highway, eventually winding up in the Stonewall area where the Letterbox caches are.  A local cacher, New Caledonian, owns several Letterbox caches and all are fairly easy to find.  Before I could get to those, I wanted to find the cache that's by the local Tim Horton's.  Of course there has to be a group of motorcyclists hanging around near GZ.  I went inside to grab a bite to eat.  That was long enough for the bikers to leave.  There were other muggles around since this was near the edge of the parking lot.  When I did have a moment, I circled GZ a couple of times before finding the cache.  Now my caching mojo is clicking.  Off to find some Letterbox caches.  These were all quick finds as I suspected they would be.

I did take a small break from geocaching to capture a couple of Munzees in the local park in town.  My first Munzee captures since last October.  I wish Munzee was more popular around here.  Back to geocaching.  I still had three more finds to make to meet my goal.  A couple more Letterbox caches and one Traditional.  The traditional was an interesting one and worthy of a favorite point.  It was up in a tree with a rope attached to help lower it down.

That was my Saturday.  Eight caches found, two DNFs, along with seven wood ticks.  On Sunday, I went in the opposite direction.  Myself and sm66 went for a drive up to Pinawa.  sm66 has never been there before and I've only been once about a year and a half ago.  Pinawa is situated on the shores of the Winnipeg river, although you would think it was a lake by the size of the river.  There is a walking path along the river where there's several caches placed.  Not all the caches are still there.  Some are missing.  We succeeded in finding the first two before DNFing on the next three.
We did find one more before heading for home.  Three finds, three DNFs and no wood ticks.  We also got an evil death stare from a muggle at a picnic table as we walked by.  I don't think she blinked once the whole time.  

That's how I spent the Giga event weekend.  Now to watch all the videos from GeoWoodstock.  There are plenty as lots of vloggers were in attendance.  I've seen quite a few good, fun pictures on social media as well.  It makes me wish I was there.  Maybe next year as GeoWoodstock will be in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I say that every year.  I'll get there one of these years.  LOL.  Until then, be safe, enjoy, peace out, and remember, geocaching is meant to be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q