Skip to main content

Geocaching and Camping Pt 3

Good morning everyone.  In keeping with the North Dakota theme, this week's fun facts is the breakdown of the number of caches in North Dakota.  They are as follows:  Earth - 24, Letterbox - 11, Multi - 67, Virtual - 5, Mystery - 176, and traditional - approximately 2,655.  Have you found them all?

This week I conclude my camping and caching trip to the NDGCA camping and caching event at Icelandic State Park in North Dakota.  Sunday, June 24th.  Another slow moving morning.  This time it was self-inflicted.  This is my punishment for staying up and trying to be the last one at the campfire.  I'm surprised I didn't turn into a pumpkin at midnight.  Rise, shower, and pack up my campsite. 

There was a new virtual about 12 miles to the West of the park.  Problem is, the breakfast event was in Cavalier, to the East.  What to do?  Eat, then backtrack for the virtual?  Or do I get the virtual and be late for breakfast?  Getting the virtual first would mean less driving and I can continue home from the event.  When I did the virtual, I had to do it in such a way that matched my theme for the weekend.  I also added another touch to it.  The original plan was to show up Friday wearing my Winnipeg Jets jersey, but it was too hot out to have that on.  It wasn't too hot out yet Sunday morning.  Selfie taken near GZ with one of the Canadian flags from my car in the picture and me wearing my Jets jersey.

 
Off to Cavalier for the breakfast event.  I was half hour late, which made my arrival somewhat of a grand entrance as I still had my Jets jersey on.  The restaurant had the seating to accommodate all us geocachers, but from what I was hearing, didn't have a big enough grill to accommodate all the breakfast orders.  I arrived at 9:30, flagged a waitress down so I could get a menu, and eventually got my breakfast about an hour later.  The food was good though and the company/conversation was excellent as always at events.
 
As the last of the stragglers left, some of us were going to do the caches in Cavalier.  Teamed up with WhiskeySowers, greeninfargo and eventually m&m O to do a fun two stage multi that took us to a time capsule that won't be opened until the year 2075.  We did this and a traditional cache on foot.  There's me, walking around Cavalier in my Jets jersey.  I think it was easy to spot who the out-of-towner was.  LOL 
 
One more cache to do before WhiskeySowers and myself parted ways.  It's a gadget cache outside the courthouse.  Another cache with a lock on it.  As Whiskey and myself looked at the set up, Whiskey read the hint "let the force guide you".  Hmmmm.  This was reminding me of a cache back home called "Pecking Order" (GC5Q63F) by local cacher 4elements5senses.  Whiskey was about to go to her car when I pulled something out of my pocket (not saying what I used).  The lock was a dial combination.  Something attracted my attention and I was calling out the first number.  Whiskey dialed it in.  Very quickly I was calling out the second and third numbers.  Kathunk.  Lock was opened.  I don't like giving away spoilers to great caches like these.  You have to try first before calling for help.  That's part of the fun of doing these types of caches.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of this one.  You'll have to take my word that it was really awesome.
 
A couple more stops before heading home.  I had been through Cavalier about three years ago.  I had stopped at this one location, but there was no cache there at the time.  Now there is.  That was a quick find. 
 
Some of the caches I was finding are part of the Pembina Walsh Historical trail.  You had to find the cache and a password, and submit the passport to the Red River Regional Council.  You can read more about the Pembina Walsh Historical Trail on GeoJangie's blog >http://geocachingjangie.com/2018/07/06/pembina-walsh-historic-geocaching-trail/
 
I had one more cache that I wanted to get, but ended up getting two.  I met up with m&m O again.  They were heading to the second cache as I went to find the first one.
Since they were still at the second one, I went over there.  They had it signed and replaced when I arrived.  They said the coordinates were good.  I searched for a bit, pulled up the cache page, got some hints, and soon had the cache in hand.  I already had my hand on the cache before that.  m&m O said I found it faster than they did.
 
That would be my final find in North Dakota.  Time to head to the border and eventually home.  That isn't the end of my day though.  I knew before starting the day that I would be going for a virtual, an event, a multi, and a traditional.  Waiting for me back home would be a puzzle that I had solved already, another event and a CITO event.  Six cache types in one day.  I crossed the border, had a pleasant chat with the border guards and the merits of camping alone LOL.
 
Arrived back in Winnipeg in time to grab the puzzle final.  A fun puzzle set up by local cacher erniebertelmogrover (also known as the muppets).
I found a traditional cache before arriving at the event hosted by AFGirl.  It was labeled as a picnic but it was really a geocaching 101 for the neighborhood residents.  AFGirl set up some temporary caches for the parents and kids to find and learn about geocaching and how to use a GPSr and the phone app.  The CITO would follow after the event.  I was tempted to go do a WherIgo and an Earthcache to boost my cache types for the day to eight.  I was tired and I just wanted to go home and unpack. 
 
That concludes my weekend in North Dakota.  I'm looking forward to next year's camping and caching event, which will be in Dickinson.  I also want to thank Tycacheus, weissfamily m&ms, and the rest of the North Dakota and Minnesota geocachers that I met over the weekend.  I had an awesome time.  I hope to cross paths with everyone again.  There are many reasons to love geocaching, and one of those reasons is the people I meet and the stories they have to tell. 
 
Until I see all of you again, be safe, enjoy, and most importantly, have fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q