Skip to main content

Geocaching and Encounters with Animals pt 3

Good morning everyone.  For this week's fun fact, I'll be sharing some of the attributes that I've found with geocaches.  As of the last update from project gc, I've found 39 caches with the dangerous animal attribute, 1,355 dogs attribute, 120 horses, 35 livestock, and 1,328 recommended for kids (they can be animals too LOL).

I was going to look back at the Hidden Creatures promo this week, but I've decided to do something a little different instead, and for the next couple of weeks hopefully.  My blog will tie in, directly or indirectly, with local vlogger Hakliva's video.  In future weeks, I'll be looking back at the Hidden Creatures promotion as will Hakliva.  You'll be able to read and watch our adventures on the same day.  Before I can do that, and trying to sync in with Hakliva, this week will be about another encounter with animals.  Hakliva has an encounter in this week's video.  You'll have to watch to see what crosses her path.  My blog gets published before she publishes her video (her video usually publishes around 11:30am local time), so I won't have the direct link to it, but you can go to her home page here > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhvDw0qNoH4hmaTJEA4WYQ

My encounter, or should I say encounters, is with deer.  I've seen my fair share of deer over time.  One of my more memorable encounters was right here in the city.  There are three parcels of land in the Western part of Winnipeg that make up Assiniboine Park & Forest.  The Northern part is the park where you'll also find our zoo.  The Southern part is mostly forest with walking paths meandering through.  The middle part is mostly forest with no paths, except on the outer perimeter.  It was in the middle section that I was going geocaching three years ago.  I parked at the zoo parking lot and made my way across the street.  I had noticed some deer heading into the woods as I walked along the sidewalk  get closer to my first cache I wanted to find.  I never thought much of it until I reached GZ.  I spotted the same deer and they spotted me.  Two even stopped to see what I was up to from a safe distance.  I was able to get a picture of the curious deer. 
 
Later that same year, I went caching at Westhawk lake, in the Whiteshell Provincial Park, near the Manitoba/Ontario border.  Near the end of my day, I walked back to my car and noticed further down, a woman hand feeding a deer in the middle of the road.  They parted ways.  As I drove past the deer, I rolled down my window, made a small noise to get the deer to raise it's head so I could get a good picture of it.  What I wasn't expecting was for that deer to walk over to my car.  I apologized to the deer, saying I had no food to give.  I just wanted it's picture.  I don't think that deer was very happy as I drove off.


 
The next summer, I was caching in the South part of the city, near a small river.  There was a walking trail that took you through the wooded area.  I was looking at my phone, seeing how far to the next cache, when I looked up and there was a deer standing to the side, looking at me.  I was able to get a picture before the deer took off.

 
That same summer (summer of 2016), I found myself caching in the town of Pinawa with okeeffek.  As we left a small wooded area behind some houses, we spotted a couple of deer, chilling beside someone's house.  They didn't even move when we walked by.

 
One last deer encounter for this blog.  Every year, around my birthday, I go on a geocaching adventure.  Twice I've headed up towards Grand Beach and Victoria Beach, North of the city.  This particular year, 2016, I found myself in Grand Beach.  I had to do a double take on this one.  It was standing so still, I thought it was fake.  It's a real deer, feeding with the rest of it's friends.
 
I've had plenty of other encounters with deer as they are plentiful around here.  With that said, I expect plenty more encounters during my travels.  Until then, and until next week, be safe, be happy, peace out, enjoy, and have fun.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q