Skip to main content

Geocaching and odds & ends pt. 2

Good morning everyone.  No fun facts this week.  As you read on, you'll understand why.  I want to go on a bit of a rant this morning, so this will be a darker post compared to my usual fare.  May not be family friendly either but I'll try to keep that in check as best as I can.

The game of geocaching is ever growing in size.  New people find out about it and get all excited to hide their very own geocache.  Some evolve and become awesome with their hides.  One example of that are local cachers Sweethearts14.  They started geocaching in September of last year.  Since then they've found over 1,200 caches and have 69 of their caches published so far.  Their hides have gotten better and better.  Also their coordinates are basically bang on.  They've been doing more and more puzzles and even their puzzles have evolved.  An example of one of their fun puzzles is this one "Sticky Flamingo" GC7W07P  I had a blast doing this puzzle.  The solved coordinates were very good as it didn't take me long to find the container once I arrived at GZ.  That's the good side of the game.

The dark side are the newbies who don't really know what they're doing.  The geocaching website has tutorials and what to do and not do.  There's even an FAQ section to help with basic stuff.  I know when I started playing five years ago, I attended a geocaching 101 event.  It definitely gave me direction and a what to do/not do in terms of searching and hiding.  Maybe there isn't enough of these type of workshops/events?  As I cache out my area, a new listing is always welcome.  Even more so if it's a new cacher so I can add a new name to a challenge cache I'm working on where I need to find 1,000 caches owned by 1,000 different owners.  With that new name comes the problems.  Bad choices of container, bad location, and bad coordinates.  Sometimes it's a combination of the three or all three.  As an experienced cacher, it is our role to help out the new people and point them in the right direction.  When mistakes are constantly repeated, at what point do you draw the line?

Bad coordinates:  We all have found caches where the coordinates have been off.  Depending on the location, it may be hard to pinpoint GZ.  I know my own can be off slightly, depending on what device you're using.  My son, Mew Two, has a cache that's in a location where the GPS bounces all over the place.  How much grace are you willing to give the coordinates?  A couple of meters?  That's not too bad.  At that point, you should be using your geo-senses instead of a device.  Ten meters or more?  Something is wrong.  Recently, (as noted in my last blog), I came across two caches that the owner used an actual GPS to obtain coordinates and didn't translate the coordinates properly into what we use for geocaching.  End result, one cache was 9.5 kilometers away (almost 6 miles) and the other just over fifteen kilometers (about 9.5 miles) off.  As good cachers, we helped the owner get the proper conversion.

Bad containers:  What is a bad container?  Geocaching.com says containers that previously had food in them.  They can attract animals as they can still pick up the scent of food, even if you did wash it out.  Recently, I was first to find on a cache.  It was a small plastic bottle, hanging by a string from a tree branch.  It was very visible and easily seen by anyone in the park.  I noted in my log that this container may not last long.  By next day, it was gone.  You could say bad location for this one too.  Same owner also used what looks like an empty fruit cup for a geocache container.  Surprisingly, the log sheet was still dry as the lid doesn't seal the container closed.  Bad choice of container.  Glass containers are also frowned on as well.  I have found a few of those too.  It could be the wrong container for that spot.  Either it's too big and obvious or too small when you have the chance to use a slightly larger container.

Bad location:  I know if you place a cache too close to active railroad tracks, don't be surprised if it gets rejected by the reviewer.  I have one that was close to railroad tracks, but I was able to prove to the reviewer that the tracks were inactive as the road crossing didn't have railway crossing signs.  Those tracks have since been torn up and replaced by a pedestrian/bike path.  I found one at the beginning of summer that was clearly in the open for all to see.  I saw it as I drove by before I could find parking.  It was a lock n' lock.  There wasn't a hiding place for it.  I'm not sure if it's still there or not.  Another bad location in my opinion is along a riverbank.  Uneven ground and the danger of falling into the river isn't what I call an ideal cache location.  Not to mention seasonal flooding.  There are caches hidden near the edge, but not at the edge and they're usually at a winter friendly and spring flood friendly height.  Also, the coordinates are generally good.

This is where my issue has hit a boiling point as I encountered all three, bad coordinates, at a bad location with a bad choice of container.  A new cache is published close to home so I see if I can get the FTF.  It's already dark and only the street lights are the closest thing to lighting (and they're not close to GZ) in the area where I need to search.  I had my flashlight with me.  I quickly discovered the uneven terrain so I need to watch where I'm stepping while searching for a container on the ground or else I'll be taking a header into the river.  I searched a likely host at where I'm being told is GZ.  After 45 minutes, I give up and go home.  Next day I organize a search party as others are also not finding the cache.  The coordinates were off by 28feet.  Bad coordinates.  What we're looking for is a nano in a log, close to the river's edge.  Yes, an ity, bity nano.  Bad choice of a container in a bad location.  As one in the group put it, we need to gather these kids, put 100 nanos in a wooded area and tell them unless they can find them all in five hours, they are never allowed to make an evil hide again.  We did find it after much swearing, along with needles and other assorted trash.  The owner is not new and has hid some good caches in good places.  This one was not one of those.  My mistake was venting on what a bad hide this was.  That drew out the complainers and haters from the peanut gallery.  These are the people who will bitch and complain and paint a larger group with the same brush.  Will they step up and take a position on the executive board?  Hell no!  Easier to sit back and bitch at those trying instead of trying themselves.  Why take the stage and be a star when you can sit in the peanut gallery and heckle the real stars every time they slip?

I think I do plenty of good for the geocaching community.  I don't want to list off what I do and look like I'm patting myself on the back.  I do these things because I enjoy doing them, I do these on my own time, and all I ask in return is for people to enjoy the content I put out.  If they do, then it's a job well done.  The other thing I ask for in return is chocolate and baked goods as payment, (just joking, I need to lose weight).  However, when I get crucified by the complainers and haters in the peanut gallery for venting my feelings (like I'm doing now) **Freedom of Speech - the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint**, that takes the desire out of wanting to do anything geocaching related.  This blog almost didn't happen as I no longer have the desire to write about geocaching.  I no longer have the desire to do my monthly stats report, although I'll probably still do the one for North Dakota.  I don't feel like finding any or hiding any geocaches.  All because of a couple of haters and complainers, two of whom never even looked for that cache, felt the need to crucify me and others who thought that was not a good hide by any stretch.  I have lost all respect for these people.  Should I return (one geocacher, and good friend said I should just take a break and hit the reset button), I will most definitely not be looking for any of their caches or attending any of their events (they generally don't host any anyway).  If I do, I'll make sure to write the most nastiest of logs, or just give a TFTC and nothing more because I can.  Freedom of Speech.

One thing that still raises my cackles is the TFTC logs.  I've learned to accept them, no matter how much I cringe when I see them.  Likewise, I can do the same, just give TFTC for a cache found.  I could also praise the hell out of a particular cache, claiming it to be the next best thing since sliced bread.  I could also voice my displeasure.  It's my log.  As long as I'm not using profanity, or anything threatening, I can say whatever I want in a log.  Geocaching HQ are the ones who will take action for any logs they deem inappropriate, not these self-righteous haters and complainers in the peanut gallery who appointed themselves as the log police.  I have over 4,900 logged finds.  Add in the DNFs, and notes, I'm sure I'm close to 5,000 logs.  I write one negative log that they don't agree with and I have fire and brimstone raining down on me.  WTF????

As this game grows, I see the quality slowly going down hill.  I also see the unnecessary drama that ruins it for others.  Why does there have to be drama in a game?  What I did may not have been the correct thing to do at the time, but two wrongs don't make it right either.  While I did apologize to the cache owner by private message for being a bit harsh, even though I still stand my ground that it was a very poor hide, I'm willing to bet that no apology will be forthcoming from the complainers and haters in the peanut gallery.  I like to think I'm an easy going person, but I know I can hold a grudge and hold it for years if you wrong me.  Don't poke a sleeping bear.  The complainers and haters in the peanut gallery better not expect a Christmas card from me anytime soon.

I've seen this happen elsewhere so this isn't a new thing.  There use to be a vlogger down in Atlanta, Kevin the Geocacher.  He put out some good videos and I enjoyed watching them.  If I recall, he encountered the same problem I just did.  A really bad hide that wasn't kid friendly (a cache in a thorn bush I believe and he was with his son, his videos are no longer available so I can't refer back to them) and drama to the point where he said this isn't fun anymore and quit the game.

That is my rant.  I may or may not be back next week with something more happier.  I had started composing a blog about a trip I took down to Grand Forks and Bemidji before all this went down.  Whether that sees the light of day remains to be seen.  You don't know what tomorrow will bring, but if you don't hear from me for awhile, you know why.  Be safe, enjoy, have fun and don't let the haters get you down like they did to me.

Comments

  1. Sending you some healing *hugs*. FYI, the three commenters on the cache were all board members in the past. So they did step up and serve the community, as have I so I think I'm OK in making a comment.

    First, I did not get to read the original log posts and am grateful that they were changed before I got to see them.

    I know this particular cache has raised ire on both sides. If the hider was my age, I would be more accepting of the negative comments. However, this particular hider is an early-teen and doing his best. We don't have a lot of teenage cachers as many are driven away by the "its got to be lame to be a cacher cause Mom and Dad do it".

    If this cache received one comment that gently explained issues that would have been fine. However, there were many logs each taking a piece of this kid. And that was unfair and tantamount to bullying and mob rule.

    Luckily, this cache owner is taking it in stride and this hasn't deterred him from doing more hides, but he's taking a break.

    Free speech is okay. I support free speech. But I like my free speech to be at a peer level and more nurturing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q