Skip to main content

Geocaching and the caching mojo

Good morning everyone.  I'm back and so is fun facts.  This week's fun fact is all about DNFs.  How many have you logged so far?  I have 189 logged DNFs to date.  I have had redemption on some of those DNFs.  Some have been archived since.  I'm not quick to log a DNF.  If it was a quick half-hearted search, then I won't log anything.  If it's an honest search and I believe the cache is missing, then I'll log the DNF.

After my publicized meltdown/rant, my caching mojo went into the tank.  What is a caching mojo?  We know what caching is, but a caching mojo?  I Googled mojo to see what definition came up.  Mojo has a couple of meanings.  Urban Dictionary says: mojo is a noun originally used to mean a magic charm or spell.  It could also be an amulet, often in the form of a small bag containing magic items worn by adherents of hoodoo or voodoo.  It could also mean a quality or some ability that brings good luck or helps you be good at something.  It has also taken on an additional meaning of personal confidence and charisma with regards to sexual relationships.  Disregarding that last bit about sex since that has nothing to do with geocaching, a caching mojo would be a self confidence.  The ability to see how to solve that puzzle that everyone is stumped on.  The ability to walk up to GZ and spot the cache without needing a GPSr or a phone app to tell them where they should be looking.  This could draw some nasty glares if you were to come strutting in on a group of cachers, who have spent the last half hour searching for a cache, swagger on full display as you point out "oh, it's right there".  That, to me is what a caching mojo would be.

As mentioned at the start, my caching mojo went into the tank.  I lost any inspiration and motivation to do anything geocaching related after the incident and aftermath of last month.  I've also been dealing with some personal stuff, which I won't be discussing.  Add all that together and my focus isn't there.  The personal confidence is gone.  When you get into that mindset, it's difficult to see what you're looking for.  I have done some caching since last month, doing a wee little bit on my own, but mostly with Hakliva and Auntie Mo.  My confidence, my mojo hit rock bottom over the weekend when I had my boys.  Saturday was a gloomy, rainy day.  The grey sky was a perfect match for my mood.  I had to make a quick trip to the store for a few groceries and opted to attempt a couple of caches.  These turned out to be very quick finds.  A fake bolt on a sign post and a container at the base of a light post.

That doesn't sound all that bad.  It was on Sunday that I bottomed out.  The same personal matter that I was dealing with while at the NDGCA Camping and Caching event in June came back at me again.  After taking the boys home, I attempted to find two geocaches to bring my overall total for that day to eleven finds.  I DNFd a puzzle final.  Another DNF on a traditional.  Surprisingly made a find at another traditional.  That one took a bit longer than it should have to find.  I did this as a thunder storm was just passing to the North of me.  Plenty of lightning and it was getting dark out earlier than normal because of the storm.  Tried my luck at one more by a hydro sub-station (while it's lightning out, real smart).  No luck on that one.  Defeated, I went home with just one find.


The following Tuesday, I was asked if I could drive my oldest to his karate class and bring him home.  No problem.  There was a geocache not far away that I haven't found yet.  Normally I'm able to spot the "flat pack" or "slim jim" type containers if you want to call them a container.  It's a baggie wrapped in tape stuck into a crack in a wooden pole.  That particular evening, I needed my tweezers to locate where this flat pack was.  I should have seen that one.

Next day I attempted another after work and after my walk in the park.  I knew exactly where I was going, so I headed straight there and parked in the lot, close to GZ.  I searched for about 10 minutes, wondering where on earth can this easy find be.  It was called easy by many of the previous finders.  It wasn't being easy for me.  I was thinking of giving up when I finally got my hands on the container.  What makes this really bad is it's easily visible from the driver seat of the car.  I should have spotted this before getting out. 

With a dark cloud over my head, I stopped at the store on the way home for some comfort food.  Tostitos rounds with Tostitos medium cheese dip.  I even bailed on a Manitoba Geocaching Association meeting that evening.  I wasn't feeling up to it.

This dark cloud would follow me into the next day.  Another personal matter arose after a thunderstorm rolled thru late the night before.  I went about my day at work, did my walk around the park (I've been trying to be more active) and did some errands afterwards.  Where I needed to go, there was a geocache hidden nearby.  I had attempted that one during the summer with no luck.  The container was missing, but has since been replaced.  I was able to locate that one.

Now I'm home to deal with my newest issue, but I'm too exhausted to deal with this.  This is the second time this summer I've had to deal with this problem.  Contemplating going to bed, a couple of notifications for new caches pop up.  First was a puzzle about superheros.  This looks like a puzzle I might be able to solve when I feel like sitting down and working on it.  The second was a traditional close to home.  Why not?  Out the door I go.  This new cache is in a familiar park.  Familiar because there was a cache hidden here before.  It's already dark out, so I have my flashlight handy.  After eliminating a couple of obvious hosts, I zoomed in on where the phone app was telling me I should be looking in the first place.  It took a few minutes but I got my fingers on the container.  Did I get the FTF?  I wasn't going to celebrate until I saw a blank piece of paper inside the container.  The log sheet was blank.  Redemption for the past few days and not being able to focus.
Now I feel pumped and motivated to write something.  Instead of going to bed so I can get up and go to work the next morning, I'm sitting at my laptop, pounding out a new blog.  This particular blog in fact.  Hopefully my mojo is back.  I put it to the test the next day.  After my daily walk in the park after work, I stop on my way home to get a find for the day.  This one is amongst some trees in a park.  As I entered the treed area, I wondered where I will start my search.  So many options here.  A look to the left and I spotted something that could be what I'm looking for.  I was right.  My caching mojo appears to be back (knock on wood).
That's what has been happening with me over the past couple of weeks.  Hopefully I'm out of my slump.  Only time will tell.  Until next time, be safe, enjoy, peace out, and most importantly, have fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q