Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Zoo part 1

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact plays off of a question that Cache Canada asked on their FB page Cache Canada's FB page this week.  What is your highest elevation cache found?  The highest in Canada is Mount Temple (GC1607) in Alberta with an elevation of 11,476ft.  A DT rating of 4.5/5, it has been found 11 times since 2001 with the last find being in 2017.  My highest elevation cache found is Sulphur Mountain (GC134E), also in Alberta with an elevation of 7,215ft.  It is the 428th highest cache in Canada.  I also took to gondola up.

Every year for the past nine years, there has been an event at our local zoo.  The geocaches that are hidden inside are archived to make way for new ones for the next event at the end of September.  I haven't been to a zoo event.  For one reason or another, I'm not available on the day the event is being held.  That was the case again last year.  Knowing that the caches inside were about to be archived, I made it a plan during the September Labor Day weekend to go to the zoo and find these caches before it's too late.

I was in conversation with Auntie Mo that morning and I had stated that I was leaving NOW (for reasons that I don't want to get into, I needed to get out of my living space).  Auntie Mo needed to get out as well and decided to join me for a day at the zoo and Assiniboine Park (the zoo is located in the park).  I picked up Auntie Mo and off we went.

The caches are hidden with the cooperation of the zoo staff.  These are not your typical film cannister in a tree type hides.  They are very creative and sometimes, very challenging.  There were traditional caches, multi-stage caches, and a puzzle cache.  I totally forgot to take pictures of the caches we were finding.  The first one we tried had to be one of the harder ones as well.  There is a hint that had us scratching our heads.  All caches are within reach and no need to cross over a fence.  After about ten minutes or so, I finally find the fake bolt in the wall of the building.

Off we go to the next cache and to enjoy the zoo as well.  The zoo itself has been undergoing major renovations over the years.  It's not really the same zoo that I remember visiting when I was just a wee lad.  The monkey enclosure was always a highlight when I would go to the zoo.  Those monkeys are gone.  The main attraction now is a polar bear enclosure called Journey to Churchill.  It really is a cool spot to visit and worthy of being the new main attraction.


We made our way around, gathering information to solve two puzzles and the multi.  One cache that had us totally stumped.  I used the PAF option for help.  I called on MarcoIslandGirl who had found it not that long ago with her husband MarcoIslandGuy.  Auntie Mo finally made the find on this one and it was worthy of the many favorite points it was getting.  I don't think we would have ever found it without their help.

Every year, the zoo has a special attraction.  This year it's giant automated insects.  We made our way around this before moving on to the next cache. 

That would be our only DNF of the day.  Soon we had found all the caches in the zoo (except for that one) and we carried on to find the finals for the puzzles and multi.  One of the finals had me doing more bushwhacking than needed.  The coordinates were a little bouncy.  Once again, MarcoIslandGirl came to our rescue and the final was quickly found.  Our very last find of the day also had us scratching our heads.  There were muggles nearby, but they left shortly after we arrived (I hope it wasn't something we said/did.  LOL).  After reading previous logs and doing more head scratching, I was able to make the find soon after.

We wrapped up the day by stopping for some well earned/deserved food.  All the caches inside the zoo were archived two days after we had found them.  Just in time.  It looks like that I'll be able to attend my very first zoo event this year.  I'm looking forward to seeing what unique caches will be waiting for us to find.

Until next week, be safe, peace out, have fun, and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q