Skip to main content

Geocaching and Kildonan Park pt.3

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact is about caches found.  Specifically, geocaches in North Dakota by non-North Dakota residents.  JB from Manitoba leads the way with 2,579 finds (he ranks 3rd with North Dakota geocachers having found ND caches).  Sullisallers from Minnesota is next with 2,217 finds (ranks 4th).  d.. from South Dakota has 1,518 finds (sits in 8th overall) .  I'm sitting at 496th place among ND geocachers with 125 finds.

This week is part three of my favorite park, Kildonan Park.  I left off part two at the Witch's Hut on the East side of the park.  Before we continue our journey South along the road, I want to mention another part of the park that's across the creek from the Witch's Hut.  The North Flower Garden.  Another popular spot for picture taking.
(As I walked through the garden, someone was having professional pictures taken).

(Clearly I had taken these pictures in early fall.  Right now, it's covered in snow and there isn't much to see.  LOL)

The road from the Witch's Hut (walking South, facing the traffic) arcs to the left as it passes a large parking lot.  This parking lot is for Rainbow Stage, which starts to come into view through the trees.  Rainbow Stage is a seasonal venue.  Built in 1951 and completed in 1952, it was originally a three thousand seat amphitheatre, the largest open-air theatre in Canada.  It is also the longest running outdoor theatre.  It has hosted musical productions since 1955.  Currently, two productions are held each summer.  2018 saw "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" a Neil Sadaka musical, and Beauty and the Beast.
A roof was added in 1970 but the open air concept has remained intact.  1986 saw an expansion to include a fly gallery, carpentry and paint shops, classrooms and expanded change rooms.  An extensive mural was painted on the building's exterior in 2011.  The mural covers 8,000 square feet and required 400 colors of latex paint.
(on one side of the entrance to Rainbow Stage.  My son's cache is just around the corner)

(The other side of the entrance.  You can see above the painting the "open" space.  That is the seating area and it is an open air theatre.)


Not far from Rainbow stage is the banks of the Red River.  On a recent walk, I was able to catch the setting sun over the frozen river.

As mentioned in one of the picture captions, there is a geocache located beside Rainbow Stage that my youngest son, MewTwo, owns and I maintain for him.  One day, he came up to me and proclaimed that he wanted to make an empty Lays Chip container into a geocache.  My reaction: "Really?  You couldn't pick something smaller?" LOL.  As a good dad, I wrapped the container in camo tape and we set off to find a hiding spot.  The original was rejected by the reviewer.  I remembered another cache that I had found with the boys that was recently archived.  That was "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"  GC1VQ7E.  We tried there and it was published.  "Fargo" GC6087Z  The GPS bounce around Rainbow Stage is crazy.  It was like that for the previous cache hidden there, so it was mentioned in the description to MewTwo's cache.  Over the years, the container has gone missing, only to reappear later on.  I can't explain why or how this container vanishes only to return close to GZ.  On one of my maintenance checks, the container was missing and I expanded my search of the wooded area.  I found a camouflage lock n' lock under a log, not far from GZ.  I took the container back to my car, tried to read the names and dates on the piece of paper that was in it.  I had a hunch and it proved to be right.  I had the original "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" cache in my hands.  Where I found it wasn't where I had originally found it years earlier with the boys.  "Fargo" is located in the spot I had found "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".  I used that container as a replacement for MewTwo's cache, only to have the original appear again.  Last time I checked in the Fall, it was the original container in it's proper hiding place.  We shall see come Spring when I check on it again.  It isn't a Winter friendly cache.

To wrap up this week, I want to share some recent pictures I took while on one of my many walks in the park.

Across the road from the walking bridge that's featured in part one, is this little grassy area lined with trees.  The recent snow made the trees look like something you'd see in a painting.

One particular day, it was foggy/frosty out.  Fortunately, the frosty look in the trees was still there when I got off work and went for a walk.  
(Looking over the fence into the golf course at the North section of the park.)

Coming around the bend at the North part of the park with the golf course to the left and straight ahead.

We've made it around three quarters of the park.  One last section to go and we're back to where we began our walk.  Until then, be safe, be happy, have fun and enjoy.  Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by