Skip to main content

Geocaching and avenging a DNF

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact is a breakdown of the caches I have found in North Dakota so far.  I have found: Mystery - 2, Virtual - 3, Multi - 2, Earth - 1, Event - 5, Letterbox - 0, and traditional - 112 for a total of 125 caches found in 9 different counties.

One part of this game that every geocacher will experience is the dreaded Did Not Find (DNF).  The blue, unhappy face on your geocaching map.  Avenging that DNF, finding that cache you couldn't find before for whatever reason, makes that find just that more special.  That feeling of exhilaration like you just made fire by rubbing two sticks together.  Success.  You've conquered that nagging blue face on your map and turned it into a happy face.  I was able to do that with not just one, or two, but three DNFs in a single day.  It wasn't my plan to avenge these age old DNFs.  All three DNFs came on the same day and are part of the Headingley Co-operative power trail.  March 24, 2014.  Almost five years of having these blue faces taunt me.  I just wanted to go out and find a few caches to get the new year started as I haven't found anything yet.

I wasn't even sure where I was going to go to find caches.  I have a good chunk of the city cached out.  To go searching will mean driving to the other end of the city.  I checked on a pocket query that I run daily to see what has been found in the past seven days.  In the Winter, this pocket query is very handy.  I can go after caches that have been found so I'm not wasting my time searching for something that may not be Winter friendly or missing.  That risk is still there, but it's greatly reduced.  That's when I noticed the few caches I didn't find on that power trail were recently found.  Two of those DNFs are on a part of the trail that was recently adopted by local cachers MarcoIslandGuy and his wife MarcoIslandGirl.  They did a maintenance run on all the caches they adopted and fixed everything up.  Two had been archived, so they replaced those ones.  One of those to be replaced was a DNF for me as well back then too.  Since it was archived and a new listing in it's place, there would be no actual avenging for that one, but it still felt good to get that smiley.

I set off to see what I can do.  Knowing where I was going and the terrain I'd be encountering, I made sure I was wearing my boots.  I've been bad this Winter for going caching in my runners.  I always come home with wet feet.  The first find is actually part of another power trail and just happen to be slightly off the road I was driving down towards my intended targets.  The HGTT power trail runs along an old rail line.  It crosses the Headingley Co-operative close to the Northern most point of the co-operative trail.  You are in the wide open when doing some of these trails that wind through the South Headingley area.  It was very windy and that wind was cold, even though the car said it was only -8C (about +17F).  That was a quick find and a good start.

The first two that I would get on the co-operative trail were the newer replacement caches.  I had heard that the ditches were deep and can be filled up to your knees with water in the summer.  But that's in the summer, it's early January right now, so I don't think I have to worry about water.  Deep snow maybe.  I'm hoping that the snow is crusty enough that I can walk across with minimal sinking.  It was crusty to an extent, but not crusty enough.  I did sink to my knee on the second of the two newer caches.  It wouldn't be a productive day if I didn't sink in snow and have it up to my knee.  Fortunately, none got in my boot which usually does happen.

(An easy to find preform hanging on a hook that local cacher Shop Crazy designed)


(Another quick find with my footprint to the right)


(leaving a geo-trail.  I sunk up to my knee on this one)



With those two out of the way, it was on to the DNFs.  The Winter that I did attempt this power trail, we had a lot of snow.  I remember the snow being so deep and piled up high that I had to pull myself up onto a snow bank to retrieve a couple of the caches on this county road.  One in particular had snow piled up at GZ.  I found the hook that day, but no container.  No deep snow at GZ today and another quick find.  Two DNFs avenged.  One more to go.  I checked the log history to see what I might expect when I arrive.  This section of the power trail is owned by another cacher, bergmannfamily.  He is very good at quick maintenance when there's an issue with his caches.  This one had been replaced but I never came back.  Today, I saw that it was replaced at the end of October.  No activity since.  This stretch of road you don't want to drive on in the Spring as it's normally a dirt road.  Dirt roads in the Spring equals muddy and a good chance of getting stuck.  Again, this is January so the dirt is frozen and easier to navigate.  I arrived at GZ and made the easy find.  My third DNF avenged and I now can say I have found the entire Headingley Co-operative power trail.  Almost five years later, but it's done.
(that blue face has been there since March 24, 2014)


(looking West on this stretch of the power trail that's on a frozen dirt road)


(Victory!!  Third and final DNF avenged.)


My 2019 is off to a reasonable start.  I hope it can continue over the next 300+ days.  Until my next frozen adventure, be safe, be happy, have fun, and enjoy.  Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by