Skip to main content

Geocaching and Kildonan Park pt 4,

Good morning everyone.  CITO season will soon be here.  Have you started planning a CITO for the Spring?  The Manitoba geocacher to have attended the most CITOs is dani_carriere with 22 attended.  Top North Dakotan is Former Hawkeye with 13 attended.

This week concludes my walk around Kildonan Park.  I have to admit that I haven't been walking lately.  Temperatures and wind chill in the -40C range will do that.  Although I have seen some hardy souls walking around the park and some with their dogs.  We left off the last time at Rainbow Stage.  Right next door to Rainbow Stage is the outdoor pool.  It was classified as an Olympic size pool.  I'm not sure if it retains that distinction after renovations a few years back.  You can wade in to the shallow end and water slides have been added.  The wading pool in the front was removed and a splash pad inside the pool area was added.
It doesn't look like much in the picture, but come summertime, this place is packed.  I have been down the water slides with my boys.  They are not adult friendly.  I'm usually banged up and bruised by the end of the day.

Almost back to our starting point, we find ourselves at the pavilion.  There is a restaurant inside on the upper lever (main level if you're coming from the parking lot) and the lower level is where you can change into your skates in the Winter.
(The pond in the summertime)

(Once it's frozen enough, it becomes the skating rink in the Winter)

Beside the pavilion are two monuments of two prominent people.  The first is Sgt. Tommy Prince, one of Canada's most decorated First Nations soldiers, having served in World War II and the Korean War.  It would be impossible to briefly describe Sgt. Tommy Prince's accomplishments in such a short space.  You can read about them here  --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Prince

Right across from Sgt. Tommy Prince is one of his forefathers, Peguis or Chief Peguis.  A Saulteaux Chief, Peguis signed the first treaty with Lord Selkirk, granting land along the Red River to the Selkirk Settlers.  Chief Peguis was one of the early First Nations converts to Christianity.  Chief Peguis and his people helped both the Hudson's Bay Company and the Selkirk Settlers, who could have starved without the help of Chief Peguis.  

There is also a cache hidden nearby, commemorating both Tommy Prince and Chief Peguis.  GC1PTYJ Chief Peguis/Tommy Prince.  This cache was published in April, 2009 and has been found 426 times to date.

We are now done walking around the park.  As the sign says, we have covered about 1.9 kilometers or 1.2 miles.  When I walk the park, I branch out a little further from the road, so I cover more distance and repeat a small portion as I pass my starting point and enter the parking lot from the pavilion.  In total, I cover about 2.5 kilometers and it takes me just over half an hour.

As we exit (or enter the park by the main gate, there is one more monument.  This one is for Andrew C. Mynarski VC, a second world war airman who gave his life in an attempt to save a fellow crewman.  You can read more about Andrew Mynarski here --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Mynarski

                   (One of the many tributes and monuments to Andrew C Mynarski VC.)


That's it.  Thank you for tagging along with me as I go for a walk around my favorite park.  Until next week, be safe, be happy, have fun, and enjoy.  Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q