Skip to main content

Geocaching and Another Saturday

Good morning everyone.  Who attended the most events last month?  These are just the regular events, not CITOs, Megas, etc.  Just a regular event.  For North Dakota, the honor goes to Tick_Magnet and N0SND with 3 events each.  Overall in the States, AnnScout from parts unknown (their profile says planet earth), and Oilbear125 from Oklahoma attended 17 events.  In Canada, fuzeebear from Alberta attended 10 events.  Locally, MarcoIslandGirl made her way to eight events in the month of April.

This week, I want to look at another Saturday that has recently passed.  This particular one is April 27th.  When I woke up that morning, I was going to see if I can find five geocaches to bring my cumulative total for the day to eleven.  I knew there was three events taking place if I chose to attend any of them.  That would make finding five that much easier.  If I attended all three events, I really only need to find two caches instead of five.  Easy enough.  Nothing is ever easy for me.  In this case, I haven't attended an event since the end of September.  I have no idea how many local events have come and gone and I had no desire to attend.  I even attempted to host an event to sort of kickstart myself back into the social realm of things.  The dark cloud that has hovered over me and my hobby of geocaching struck again last fall and I was a no show to my own event.

Fast forward back to April 27th.  To kick things off, there was a CITO event.  The past two years, Manitoba geocachers have teamed up with the Kilcona Dog Park club to spread woodchips and create better walking trails in the park.  This year there was a change of plans and we were now cleaning a local park that wasn't very far from where I live.  Maybe if I get there early enough, pick up some garbage, sign the logbook, then I can leave before others arrive.  That's a doable plan.  Guess who didn't arrive early?  Yup.  Me.  Arrived when the scheduled start time was, picked up some garbage and chatted with one geocacher.  Before I knew it, I was chatting with others.  Some were happy to see me.  I even got a big hug from MarcoIslandGirl who was very happy to see me.  There was a few that were probably not happy to see me and likewise, I didn't want to see them, so I kept my distance.  Part of the reason why I don't show up to events anymore.  I chatted with JB about the Camping and Caching event coming up in North Dakota.  I even chatted with Peter of Peter&Gloria about Munzees.  He deployed one while we were there and gave me one to deploy at the other end of the park, so I did.  With the garbage picked up, group picture done, it was time to part ways for now.

(a group picture from behind)


There was a cache not far from the CITO that I had attempted last year with no luck.  I even came back a few weeks ago to try again, but with the Spring melt and the higher water levels (this was located at the edge of Bunn's Creek), I had to walk away from it again.  Since this was found recently, I came back for a third attempt.  Maybe my caching mojo just isn't clicking, but it was the third visit that the name of the cache clicked in and where I should be searching.  Finally found it.  Container was in good shape, but not so much for the log sheet.  It was a soggy pulp of paper.  I took a picture as proof that I did find it.  Back to my place to kill some time before the next event.

(unable to sign the soggy log sheet)


The next event.  The Manitoba Geocaching Association Annual General Meeting.  I had mixed feelings about going to this one.  I was on the board, but certain events with another board member had left me somewhat bitter that I was forced out of my position.  Do I go and sit quietly in the back, or do I raise valid questions and points?  I arrived and bumped into MarcoIslandGirl again, who was pointing arriving members where in the library the meeting was.  I had a very wonderful conversation with M.I.Girl (we all know and refer to her and her husband, MarcoIslandGuy, as the M.I.Gs), catching up and figuring out that I had not been seen since the end of September.  We finally moved over to the meeting that had already begun.  I had missed the stats report which was the primary report that I wanted to hear.  I know that, (and the person who wished her way into my position did admit), that I left big shoes to fill.  Of course.  I wear size 11.  You should also be careful for what you wish for.  Maybe it was a good thing that I missed the report.  I know it wouldn't have been anywhere as good as my report as I love stats, numbers and digging up interesting bits of information.  I also keep tabs on all the older caches in Manitoba and have provided a yearly update on those said caches.  I sat in the back and kept quiet.  I didn't really get anything positive from the meeting in regards to the MBGA moving forward.  Again, maybe it's a good thing I'm no longer on the board.  I can focus on my own projects, such as this blog, doing the stats for North Dakota Geocaching, and helping GeoJangie with The Geocaching Guild FB page (if you haven't done so yet, like and follow that page.  Plenty of bloggers featured on the page almost daily)

Everything happens for a reason.  Maybe, after all these months, I might have some closure on that chapter of my life.  It's too bad it had to end the way it did, but some people have their own agendas and don't care who they kick to the curb or step on to get to where they want to be.  You'll find these types of people everywhere and anywhere, not just geocaching.  Who knew I'd be getting divorced twice in the same year.  LOL  As I write this, the April stats for the MBGA was published earlier today.  I was very impressed by the presentation of it.  It was very well done and I even said so.  The reply I got back was that the board "works as a team to write up" the monthly stats report.  As a team?  It takes the entire board to do a job that had been tasked to a single person for years?  I didn't think my shoes were that big.  Someone took offence to my questioning that and deleted my post.  Whatever.  I don't need that drama and I don't have time for it either,

As Winnipeg's The Guess Who sang: "No time left for you, On my way to better things, (No time left for you) I found myself some wings, (No time left for you) Distant roads are callin' me."  I'm walking away with my head up high, knowing I did the best job possible and my shoes are indeed too big to fill.

(my view of the meeting as I sat in the back very quietly)


With the meeting adjourned, it was time to make our way across the parking lot to the Dairy Queen for an ice cream event.  I found myself talking with some of the veteran geocachers and hearing of adventures past.  Basically, it was a good event.

(I had my desert first before having supper)


Now to take a break from all this geocaching and put my Dad hat on.  My oldest boy, d-2002, has been learning to drive and wanted some practice time.  I spent an hour with him as he drove around the neighbourhood.  He hasn't done much practicing in the city since last summer and wanted to get back into the swing of things.  As a parent, it is nerve wracking to have your child learn how to drive with your car.  I know I'm not cut out to be a driving instructor.  I do my best to stay calm and point out the mistakes that d-2002 makes and what the proper way of doing it is.

(Please take care of my car LOL)


After dropping d-2002 off at home, it's time to eat.  I want another good burger, but from somewhere different.  Last time, I went to The North Star for my burger.  Today, I wound up at Henderson Burgers and Subs.  The burger that I got (a bacon burger, who doesn't like bacon in their burgers), was so good.  It was my first time there and I'll definitely be back.  It's places like these that make the burgers at McDonald's look pitiful.

(My mouth waters just from looking at that burger)


I still need one more cache to find to call my day a success.  I know of another cache that I had no luck in finding last year that is also very close to where I live.  I saw in recent logs that another cacher used a throw down so they could claim it as found.  There is much debate about using throw downs, but right now, I don't really care.  There's a container there for me to find.  It was a very quick find, signed and replaced.  My caching goal is complete.

Monthly caching goal:  For the month of May, I have seven dates that I want to find either one or two caches on.  So far, I have checked off three of those dates.  May 4th, 6th, & 9th.  So far, so good.  So far this month, I have found four caches.  Not great numbers, but I'm ok with that.

That's it for this week.  Until next time, be safe, have fun, enjoy each day, and be happy.  Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.