Skip to main content

Geocaching and Cliques

Good morning everyone.  This weekend is Geo-Woodstock 17 in Ft. Worth, Texas.  With that in mind, who has attended the most Mega events?  Locally, it's dani_carriere with 12 Megas and one Giga (I know she's at this year's Mega, so that'll be 13 for her).  Top Canadian is Jtee from Hamilton who has been to 36 Mega events and one Giga.  Across the border, top American is marlin01 from Auburn, NY with 76 Mega events and one Giga.  For North Dakota, that honor goes to gnies with 7 Mega events (I know he's at this year's event so that'll be eight for him) and one Giga event.

There was a blog a couple of months ago from Geocache Talk that touched on geocaching being cliquish.  That topic has stuck with me to the point where I want to take a more deeper and personal look at it.  I'll be trying to portray both sides as equally as possible and let you, the reader decide if geocaching is cliquish.

Geocaching IS cliquish:  It can certainly appear that way.  I have been to several events (over 140 events and counting), so when I take a step back and see the bigger picture, I do see cliques.  The event, if large enough, can break down into smaller clusters of people, huddled together, sharing stories of adventures past, making new plans for future adventures, and general chit chatting.  I usually see the same group of people huddled together.  Some will branch out and socialize with others, but it's usually the same bunch huddled together.  Sometimes, it's the same bunch that go out and cache together too.  I remember attending my first two events.  The first one was a geocaching intro/101 type event.  I didn't know a single person there.  I was literally brand new to the hobby, having found my first cache only four days before this event so I sat closest to the door for an easy exit.  I don't think anyone noticed me at all.  I can be that way.  The quiet wallflower in the corner of the room, invisible to all.

The second event was more of a pub night style event about a month later.  It was honoring local geocacher KeeGee for being the very first person in Manitoba to reach 1,000 days of consecutively finding a geocache.  I knew my neighbor who got me into geocaching was there, but he was busy socializing with others.  He did introduce me to a couple of people, but for the most part, I felt very alone.  I didn't know anyone and felt very insignificant.  The only person that I recall to actually spend any time making me feel welcome was 4elements5senses.  If it wasn't for her taking the time to make me feel like I was part of the event, I may not have gone to anymore events after that.  If you are shy, socially awkward, easily intimidated by larger crowds, geocaching can seem like it's cliquish.  You hear tales of adventures where multiple geocachers got together and travelled to another town or park or wherever and had a good time.  You have nothing to offer so you stand quietly in the background listening and wishing you were part of the adventure.  It is a challenge to step out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there socially.

Last year at a local geocaching association's annual general meeting, we were all introducing ourselves and an accomplishment we were proud of.  A few of us (including me) mentioned the extensive daily streaks we had done.  When it came around to a fairly new geocacher (I don't recall who it was), they mentioned how they felt intimidated by these people who have put up incredible numbers, be it total finds overall, in a single day, or a daily caching streak that went beyond a year or two or three.

In the eyes of a newbie, geocaching can be cliquish because we all know each other and have for a few years or longer.  It is hard to try to squeeze into that social circle, unless you're a social butterfly and can easily slip in seamlessly.

Having a local geocaching association or a local group can work both ways.  While the intent is to foster and help promote the hobby, it can also give the impression that it is the cool, hip group like in high school.  If you're not part of the 'cool gang', then you're an outcast.  It all depends on who's in the club and how much of an ego boost they have by having a position.  Something I've always said: give someone a little bit of power and they'll either do great things with it or become a complete rectal opening.

(I didn't find many caches this month but this one was cool.  3D printed)


Geocaching is NOT cliquish:  I know for myself and for others as well, we like to meet new geocachers and answer any questions they may have.  We want them to experience the same thing we do from this hobby.  I recall that a local geocaching association introduced a plan where a seat would be reserved next to the host of an event for a new person attending.  This way, that new person would be included in the 'circle' instead of sitting on the sidelines.  This is where a local association or group can make everyone feel welcome and accepting.

One of my earlier experiences  is an example of how geocaching isn't cliquish.  I don't remember if it was an AGM event or a Christmas event, but a small church hall was rented for the occasion.  I arrived early and took a seat at an empty table on one side of the hall.  As it turned out, everyone sat on the other side, leaving me sitting by myself.  After we were done eating, a couple of geocachers moved over and engaged in a conversation with me.  They didn't have to, but they were making me feel included.  I was still relatively unknown then to the regulars.

In defence of the regular, long time geocachers, we do get caught up with our story swapping and we don't get a chance to visit everyone.  More so if it's a well attended event.  There's only so much time and I've seen geocachers hang around well past the announced end time for the event.  Sometimes the events are the only time we see each other and have the opportunity to get caught up.  We were all new at one time and we shouldn't forget what it was like attending our very first event.  I think, for the most part, that geocachers in general do accept new attendees with open arms.

Another way to make it feel less cliquish is by answering messages received from anyone, including new people and from those you don't know.  If by chance you do meet up with that person at an event, you can talk about that cache they were asking about.  On the flip side, don't be afraid to message a cache owner asking for a tip, a clue, or some helpful advice.  It's a good icebreaker should you meet up with the CO at an event.

Those are just a few examples representing both sides of the argument.  Personally, I don't think it's cliquish, but that's my opinion.  What examples have you experienced that represent either side of the argument?

(The new style of ammo can.  LOL)


Monthly challenge update:  I completed my quest to find caches on days that had either four or five total finds.  There are now eleven days with a minimum of 6 finds for the month of May.  June is going to be a very busy month for goals as I have several that I'll be working on.  Attending 3 events in North Dakota.  Finding 75 caches in North Dakota.  Finding caches in at least nine new counties in (you guessed it) North Dakota.  Adding a new State (Montana) to my map.  Reaching 5,500 finds and 600 mystery caches found.  I'll also be aiming for around 250 finds for the month as well.

That's it for this week.  Sending some love up to Dexter in heaven.  Until next time, be safe, be happy, enjoy life and have fun.  Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.