Skip to main content

Geocaching and Odds and Ends pt. 4

Good morning everyone.  Did you know that out of the 23 areas that Project-gc divides Manitoba into, only 18 of those areas have a mystery cache hidden in it's borders?  You can find a multi-stage cache in 20 of the 23 areas.  In North Dakota; 20 out of 53 counties have a multi-stage cache and only 16 of the 53 counties have a mystery cache.

This week should be a look back at the month of May for geocaching on my part.  With only 32 finds for the month, that doesn't give me much material to work with.  The lack of finds was on purpose though.  I have plans on having an awesome month of caching in June.  Looking at my stats page and I have known this for sometime, June takes a dip in numbers for total finds.  March has 450 finds.  April sees an increase up to 524.  I ended May with 500.  June dips down to 377.  July and August have over 600 finds with September and October at over 500 each.  I have no explanation for June, so I plan on fixing that this year.

Before we get there, I did find a few caches in May.  Some were very good hides too.  Such as this Little Library hide.


And this 3D printed container.  


I did manage to avenge a Did Not Attempt.  GZ in April was surrounded by the rising waters of the Red River.  When I returned at the end of May, the water levels had gone down considerably.  The ground was still wet, but it was more wet clay than mud.  

I was positive I had spotted the cache in April, but from a distance I couldn't be sure.  Turns out, I was right.  That is the cache hanging on the trunk of the tree.  I love finding peanut butter containers.  Why?  They are large enough to hold swag.  Of course they have to be cleaned thoroughly before they can be used as a geocache.


That brings us to June.  Almost all of my big goals for the year are focused on this month.  Attending three events in North Dakota.  Finding caches in nine new counties in North Dakota.  Adding a new State to my geocaching map.  Finding at least 75 caches in North Dakota.  Finding my 600th mystery cache.  That's a lot of caches to find.  In fact, I'm hoping to end up with at least 250 finds for the month.  I have hit 200 or more finds in a single month five times.  Only once have I passed 250 finds.  It was in August of 2015 that I had my most productive month with 289 finds.

Since we're into June now, I can check off one of the goals.  I conquered the Princess Crown geo-art just outside of Winnipeg.  Fifty seven puzzle caches make up the crown.  This was put together by local cacher Sneakyshields.  She did an awesome job with the series and cache placement.  All the puzzles are certitude style puzzles.  Not my favorite type for sure.  Luckily Auntie Mo had solved all the puzzles (I had solved maybe 14 of the 57).  She drove while I ran back and forth signing all the caches.  I only needed fifteen to reach 600.  I'm almost half way to seven hundred now.  LOL.  


There was a few other finds as well to get the month started.  There are many aspects of geocaching that I love.  One of them is the monuments remembering the past that are off the beaten path.  I would never find these if not for geocaching.  They commemorate past schools, churches, and pioneers that settled the land.  It's an impromptu history lesson if you take the time to read the monuments and appreciate what use to be where you stand now.


Speaking of history, something else that you will find scattered around on fields.  Old farm equipment.  These make for great hosts for geocaches.  I could probably do a blog on the caches I have found on old farm equipment.  Hmmmmm.  Anyway, this particular cache is hidden outside the agricultural museum just outside of Austin, Manitoba.  I took the picture before I had found the cache.  I searched and walked around this old tractor.  I did find it.  Now that I know where it is, I can see it in the picture.


One more cache that I found this week that I want to share with everyone.  It's a field puzzle.  "Elemental Geocache" GC6W4PY.  There are two locks you need to open.  The first one is easy enough.  The second requires some knowledge of the periodic table and some basic math.  Once that is done, you have the combination and soon, the log book.

As I type this, I have 74 finds so far to get the month started.  One goal for the lack of a better term that I had considered was making the kick off event for the North Dakota Camping and Caching event my 5,500th find.  Last year it was my 4,500th.  I'm finding that trying to do that is handcuffing me somewhat.  Forget that idea.  Although, I could try to make an event I'm hosting in Williston, North Dakota my 5,500th.  I just need to find 67 caches between now and the event.  That's possible.

That's where my geocaching adventures sit right now.  Until next week, be happy, be safe, enjoy life, and most of all, have fun.  Miss you Dexter.  Peace out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.