Skip to main content

North Dakota Camping and Caching event, Day 2

Good morning everyone.  Did you know that there are 108 active web cam geocaches in the United States?  They are located in 39 out of 51 states, including the District of Columbia.  Canada has six web cams in four provinces.  Neither North Dakota or Manitoba have web cams.

It's day two of my trip.  Friday, June21st.  I woke up to see that it had rained a bit.  I want to grab a few more caches in Williston before heading back out on the highway.  One thing I saw quite a few of in my travels is wood carvings from dead trees.  Instead of cutting the tree right down, an artist created a carving.  There is a park in Williston with a whole bunch of these carvings.  Quite impressive to see.  The one pictured below is at the Williston Visitor's Centre.


The next cache is a story in itself.  I pulled up to GZ and made my way over to the host.  As I got close to the fence, something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye.  It's a cat, with a mouse in it's mouth.  They're both dead.  Second time I've encountered a dead cat near ground zero.  Both times in North Dakota.  What's up with that?  I just hoped that the cache wasn't under the cat.  As I searched, it began to rain.  It started to rain even harder.  I retreated to the safety of my car with hopes of waiting for this downpour to pass.  After several minutes, it had let up some, but not enough.  I decided that I won't melt in the rain and ran out to give it another try.  Success this time.



All the caches I was finding this morning in Williston belong to GeoJangie.  I took a pic of the train to show that I did find the cache.  What I didn't realize at the time (I saw this as I uploaded pictures for this blog) that you can see the dead cat by the fence.

One more cache before pulling out of Williston.  This particular one was featured recently in GeoJangie's blog as part of the Cache Advance Geo-challenge of the month.  You can read more about the challenge and her blog here > GeoJangie's blog.  This was a very creative hide, and has the potential to gather many favorite points.


On the road to Dickinson.  Geocaching is more interesting when you get off the main highway and take some of the backroads.  This is where I started to encounter the Badlands.  I find the views of this area of the planet to be breathtaking.  This pales in comparison to what I'd encounter later on in the day.  
Something else you could come across when taking the country roads, people having issues with some of the signs.  It looks like someone didn't like the fact that the road turns left up ahead.


There's the old building as well that you'll find when taking the backroads.  Old barns, school houses, homesteads.  Still standing as a reminder of simpler times when the pioneers were still settling the land.


Since I'm so close to the Western border of North Dakota, I may as well make the detour and find a cache in a new state.  I can now claim Montana as a State that I have found a cache in.  That completes a 2018 challenge of mine.  A new state or province.  I continued my drive down on the Montana side of the border, claiming a total of ten caches before crossing back into North Dakota.  The drive was uneventful.  I could see the badlands out my driver side window on the North Dakota side.  Not much in the way of badlands on this stretch of highway.

Another cache that I had on my bucket list was 'Painted Canyon Overlook' GC238GK.  It has the second most favorite points in North Dakota.  It's an Earthcache with an awesome view.  There is a hiking trail that takes you down into the canyon.  I opted to not do that as I was already running late for the kickoff event for the Camping and Caching event.

(another view of Painted Canyon)

I made it to the Patterson Lake Recreation Area for the kickoff event.  The festivities had already begun, but that's ok.  I was greeted by many friendly and familiar North Dakota cachers.  It was good to see everyone again, since I haven't seen them since last year's camping and caching event.  For the first day of summer, it was windy and a little on the cool side.  I had my hoodie on and I was starting to get chilled by the end of the evening.

This year's event featured a unique way of signing in.  Jenga.  Just like the game, you had to pull out a playing piece that hasn't been signed yet, sign your name and place it on top without the stack toppling over.  I was successful in getting a piece out and signing.

Things started to get interesting as the stack wobbled but never toppled later on.  I was busy chatting with gnies, JB, GeoJangie, and others when I heard the crashing of all the wood pieces.  Since I wasn't paying attention, I believe it was the wind that toppled the stack over.

Time to check in to my cheap hotel.  The location worked out very well as it was close to the next two events.  As for the hotel itself, I'd say this one was the dumpiest of the three I'd stay in.  A lack of available electrical plugs for me to use.  As I was unloading my car, I spotted my blue extension cord that I use in the Winter to plug my car in.  Idea!!  I grabbed that and was able to plug in my laptop, charge my phone, and plug my CPAP in.  I also had to rearrange some furniture so I was sitting under a light.  As for my battery packs for my phone, I used the bathroom plugs to charge those up.  It wasn't a bad hotel.  It just needs some TLC.  It served its purpose for the price I wanted to spend.

Monthly goal update:  Day #2 saw 35 finds in North Dakota, bringing my grand total for the trip to 50 and overall to 175.  Just twenty five more to go.  I added four new counties.  Just one county shy of that goal.  Attended my second event.  Need to attend one more.  I found caches in eight counties (5 in North Dakota and 3 in Montana), a new personal best.  Speaking of Montana, new state added to my map.  I can check off that goal.

That's it for day #2 of my trip.  Next week is day #3 and the all the fun that came on the main day of the weekend event.  Until then, be happy, be safe, hug your loved ones, enjoy life, and most of all, have fun.  Peace out.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q