Skip to main content

Geocaching and Earthcaches

Good morning everyone.  Did you know there are 2,095 Earthcaches in Canada?  Manitoba has 64 earthcaches, good for eighth spot in Canada.  There are 8,361 Earthcaches in the U.S.  North Dakota has 24 of those, good enough for 47th in the States.

A particular topic came up at a couple of events I attended recently.  Earthcaches.  Surprisingly, the geocachers I was talking to didn't like doing earthcaches.  The reasoning was basically the same.  Answering the questions.  I don't mind doing earthcaches and I would like to do more.  However, I do have to agree with the cachers that I spoke to.  Some of the questions are difficult to answer.  I have avoided some earthcaches just for that simple reason.  I've also attempted a few earthcaches where I couldn't answer one or all of the questions.  These are my experiences attempting earthcaches and the results I have had.

One of the things I like about earthcaches is that there's no container to search for.  You're at a point of interest and more times than not, looking for answers on information boards that are around the area of ground zero.  These are great when travelling.  It makes for a nice break from driving and a chance to stretch the legs.  Another thing I like about them, and this is what I think they're meant to do, is educate you about the area you have stopped at.  Things that you probably overlooked such as the impact of glaciers or floods on the area, land erosion or the rebirth of natural vegetation where you're standing.  It is a learning experience and a good way to know the area you call home better.

(myself and my youngest at Keewatin Rockholes GCZT35.  Only my 3rd earthcache attempted at the time)


The downside is as mentioned, the questions.  If the questions are relatively easy and the answers can be obtained by reading information signs or describing the view from ground zero, then they can be very fun to do.  However, when asked questions such as calculating the volume of water in a lake in cubic metres, estimating the width of a river during a flood, or the size and weight of a boulder, then you'll find that some geocachers will avoid those particular earthcaches.  Those are actual questions from three earthcaches that I have visited.  I only attempted one and passed on the other two as I didn't feel like spending a great deal of time doing math when I could be finding plastic containers hanging in trees.

(a selfie at Red River Flood Plain - Grand Forks GC1RJ14.  My first earthcache in North Dakota.)


Another thing to consider is the owner of the earthcache.  Are they real sticklers for the correct answer or are they willing to let your miscalculations slide for the sake of the enjoyment of the game?  I have had a couple of good experiences when it comes to the owner and their questions.  Four years ago, I took my boys, d-2002 & MewTwo, West to Alberta.  One of our stops (an unplanned, impromptu stop) was at a coal mine.  I didn't have the earthcache loaded on my GPS, and upon arriving, discovered I had no cell service.  I have no idea what the questions are.  I took down any and all information that I thought could be an answer.  When we got to the hotel, I discovered that I didn't have a single answer.  I messaged the owner and told him what had happened and even sent pictures that I had taken while there.  The owner was nice enough to allow me to log it as found since I showed that I was actually there.  Last year, I had attempted an earthcache close to home.  This one needed me to calculate the size and weight of a particular boulder.  I haven't done that sort of stuff since I was in school many eons ago.  I gave it my best shot and submitted the answers.  The owner got back to me and informed me that my calculations were way off.  They did allow me to log it as found.
(the rock that needed measuring isn't in the picture, but is similar to what is pictured)

With all that said, I have heard from other geocachers that they have been denied logging an earthcache because their answers were wrong.  That just takes the fun out of doing earthcaches.  You were there, you attempted the answers and probably got all but one right.  You should be allowed to log it as found.  That's what I would do if I was an owner.  I also wouldn't be asking math related questions either.
(d-2002 and MewTwo at the Atlas Coal Mine GC2ZP1X)

Another thing to consider; is the owner still active?  How many times have you sent answers in and not hear anything back?  Do you wait to hear back from the owner before logging or do you go ahead and log it as found anyway, confident that you submitted the correct answers?  On my recent rip to North Dakota, I did three earthcaches.  I submitted my answers and logged it as found.  I never did hear back from any of the three cache owners.  I usually don't wait to hear back from the owner,  I log it as found anyway as I log all my finds in the order I found them in (I'm particular that way).  
(Painted Canyon Overlook.  GC238GK)


As I sat down to put this blog together, I looked up the earthcaches that I do have logged as found.  I only have 38 so far.  I was surprised to find that one was archived.  After doing some digging, I discovered that the owner had recently archived all of his caches.  Then I had an idea the next day.  Reboot the archived earthcache.  It was already an earthcache so it should be good to go.  Nope.  A separate reviewer looks after the earthcaches.  In my case, that would be geoawareCA.  They got back to me as I was typing this to inform me that the logging requirements have changed for earthcaches.  These changes were updated in June, 2019.

(a selfie at Shelterbelts and Aquifers GC5CQ1F, now archived)

According to Geocaching.com, acceptable logging tasks are as follows:
* Questions that can be only answered by visiting the site.
*Questions that allow geocachers to demonstrate what they have learned
*Open questions like "what/why/how do you think...?"
*Questions that ask geocachers to compare geological features.
*As an addition to a well-developed logging task, a picture of the geocacher or a personal item if the geocacher chooses to not be photographed.

Unacceptable logging tasks include:
* Questions that can be answered without visiting the site (armchair logging)
* Questions that assume prior knowledge of geology "what type of rock is found here?"
* Asking geocachers to research the topic online.
* Asking geocachers to quote information from a sign.
* Asking geocachers to take measurements that do not relate to the earth science lesson and only prove that they visited the site (Measure the height of the boulder)

The earthcache in question that I was trying to reboot didn't comply with the new logging requirements as three of the answers were obtained from reading the sign that's behind me.  I have to come up with a different plan for an Earthcache.  I do have an idea, but it's having it comply with the new requirements that'll be the test.  I'm guessing that enough cachers complained about the questions and it prompted the changes.  Maybe it's a sign that earthcaches from now on (at least newer ones published after June, 2019) will be easier.  I hope so as I want to do more earthcaches and boost my numbers for that.

(one of the easier earthcaches that I've done, West Hawk Lake - A Fiery Birth GC1DT51.  I look different again.  LOL)

Monthly challenge:  I didn't really set a goal for myself for July as I had over did it in June and was burnt out from excessive caching.  Is that possible?  It is for me.  I did mention that I needed a few more caches to reach 700 total finds for the month of July.  I set out after work today (it is Wednesday as I write this) and grabbed twelve letterbox caches, giving me a total of 708 for July.  The 19 I did find in July is not my lowest total.  That honor goes to 2017 where I only found 13 during the month of July.  That was on the heals of ending my daily caching streak at 1,010 days.

Do you like doing Earthcaches?  What's your opinion on them?  That's it for this week.  Until next time, be safe, enjoy life, hug your loved ones, be happy, and most of all, have fun.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.