Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Geocaching Guild

Good morning everyone.  This week I'm going to share my hide stats.  I have hidden (or hosted an event) 68 caches so far.  Of those sixty eight, fifty are archived.  That number will likely increase in the future.  My hides have covered eleven different difficulty/terrain combinations, with 1.5/1.5 being the most common.  I have received 3,772 found logs on 365 days out of 366 days in a calendar year.  I'm missing November 27th.  How do your hide stats look in comparison?

I'm sure many of you have heard of a FB page called The Geocaching Guild.  It is the home for geocachers who like to blog.  Do you know it's history or what goes on behind the scenes of this FB page.  This week I'm going to reveal it's brief history.  I have touched on what goes on in previous blogs, but today, it's devoted to The Geocaching Guild.  So how did this page get it's start?  I'm also using some random pictures from geocaching adventures as I like to include pictures with my blogs.

We don't have to travel very far back in time.  In fact, we only need to go back to early summer of last year.  It was a blogger that I have mentioned a few times in my blogs that came up with the idea, or the seed in hopes that this could become a tree.  GeoJangie.  She felt that geocaching bloggers needed a place to build a community.  Geocaching vloggers are easily found, mostly on YouTube, and they have their own network started by the Geocaching Vlogger himself.  They have a strong community.  The bloggers, for the most part, are small entities not very well known to the geocaching community as a whole.  Angie decided it was time to help bloggers find each other, help the caching community find those bloggers, and give the bloggers a sense of community that vloggers already enjoy.


(A creepy crawly spider in a tree)


I was quickly on board with the project as it's another venue to get my blog out there, and I was totally sold on Angie's idea.  On July 10, 2018, The Geocaching Guild FB page came to life.  The original plan was for bloggers to provide a link to their latest blog and Angie would then post it on the Guild.  At the beginning, it was just Angie and myself posting our blogs.  By October, it had fizzled out.  It was a case of great idea, bad timing.  Both Angie and myself were busy with our personal lives that the Guild page sort of fell to the side.  The page basically was flatlining and being left for dead.

Every time we ring in a new year, there is hope and optimism that the new year will be prosperous and successful.  I had severed ties with the local caching association.  No longer saddled with being the treasurer and stats guy, I found myself with some free time.  I didn't forget about the Guild page, so I went back to see what was happening with it.  I had contacted Angie in regards to breathing some life into this dormant community.  She was still busy dealing with the last trimester of her pregnancy, so Angie made me a co-administrator.  I wasn't expecting that but was also very honored as well.

(Thermoses and water bottles have many uses)


One of the things I did for the local caching association was promote my blog, a local vlogger's YouTube videos, and any other blog or vlog I saw fit to promote.  It was that experience that I brought to the Guild page and decided to find and promote other bloggers.  I wasn't going to wait for them to come to us.  I was finding them, posting their blogs on the Guild page and letting them know somehow that we had found them and will promote them.  By mid-March, the Geocaching Guild began promoting other bloggers.  The first two bloggers I came across was Runningbereaved and Where'sJWo.

Since that time, Angie and myself started following other bloggers and searching for other blogs to promote.  The list of bloggers we promote has grown significantly.  Some are regular bloggers, while some just happen to touch on geocaching in a blog.  The blogs don't have to be exclusively about geocaching.  If you're a geocacher and you have a blog that's family friendly, we'll look at it and add it to our list of bloggers we follow and even get it into the schedule rotation.

(the different animals you can find in trees)


Every child that learns to walk will stumble and fall once in awhile.  That's no different with posting something on a daily basis.  We tried to have a schedule as to which one of us would post something on a particular given day.  There was days here and there when nothing was posted.  Partly because there wasn't anything to post, and we would get busy and forget to post.  I was tinkering with the page when I discovered that posts can be scheduled ahead of time.  I shared that with Angie and she has been on top of that, having something scheduled every day.  She will have a week's worth of blogs scheduled in advance.  The content has grown since mid-March.  Sandhurst Geocachers, Mud & Nettles, the Caching Bag, DIG Family Geocaching, Caching While Black, along with others are regulars on the Geocaching Guild.

Our efforts are being rewarded as well.  Going back to mid-March, there was 31 page likes for the guild when we decided to give it C.P.R.  As I write this, that number has increased to 101.  The Geocaching Guild has risen from the ashes and is becoming that community that Angie had dreamt about for bloggers.  One of the reasons for the healthy increase in page likes is the self-promotion.  Whenever we have a chance, and think about it, we will plug the Guild page.  I'm a regular on a Twitter chat called #USGeocachingHour, so when I have a chance, I'll do the shameless plug for this blog and the guild page.  On one particular episode of GeocacheTalk, Angie was a guest.  I was in the chat room and decided to suggest that Angie plug the Guild page.  One of the hosts, MemfisMafia saw my comment and made mention of it on air.  Angie didn't know I was going to do that (and neither did I, it was a spur of the moment idea) but she knew it was me.  She did get to talk about the page briefly.  Word of mouth can be a very powerful thing.

(Look up, waaaay up)


I have to admit that I've slacked off a bit in my search for blogs.  With it still being summer and knowing that cooler weather will soon be here, I want to be outside doing something instead of inside scrounging around on the world wide web.  Same goes for watching vloggers.  I have a whole Winter to catch up on my reading and video watching.  I can include podcasts as well, although I have caught one or two.  When I do find a blog, I copy the link and send it to Angie via messenger so she can slot it into the schedule.  One type of blog that we do shy away from are the geocaching 101 type blogs.  You'll be surprised how many intro to geocaching blogs are out there.  They are good blogs for those that don't know about geocaching, but for you, the reader (and chances are you can be considered seasoned vets in geocaching), we look more for something that's more entertaining.  It doesn't matter what part of the world you live in either.  An adventure is an adventure, no matter where you live.  Sometimes we, the reader can escape into the words of your blog and picture ourselves tagging along with your adventure.  The joys of writting a blog and reading them.

Thank you to everyone who has liked The Geocaching Guild FB page.  We appreciate each and every page like and we hope you enjoy the content we publish.  If you do like a particular blog, give it a like as well and possibly leave a comment too.  We'd love to hear some feedback.  For those who haven't been to the page, you can find it here > https://www.facebook.com/TheGeocachingGuild/

That's it for this week.  No monthly challenge update as I still haven't found any geocaches.  Maybe today I'll squeeze in some time.  There are only days left in August to complete my monthly challenge.  Until next time, be happy, be safe, enjoy life, hug your loved ones (geo-pets too), and most of all, have fun.  Geocaching is just a game/hobby.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.