Skip to main content

Geocaching and Roadside Attractions part 2.

Good morning everyone.  Do you do Wherigo caches?  I've only done four myself.  There are seven Wherigo caches in Manitoba.  Alberta leads the way with 325.  North Dakota has six Wherigo caches.  Not surprising that California has the most with 410.

This week's blog is an impromptu one as my intended blog isn't quiet ready to be published.  It is something that I want to be done properly and anything less will be unsatisfactory.  While I give myself more time to work on that, I decided to go back to a topic that I originally did back in January, 2018.  Roadside Attractions.  It was my fourth blog and a topic that obviously I haven't come back to as I have come across plenty of these local attractions.

Roadside Attractions are basically large statues or monuments, depicting something of the town or the area it's located in.  Some reflect the history, while others are simply tourist attractions.  I dug into my pictures and have come up with a few that I have discovered in my many geocaching adventures.  Sometimes I will do a Google search ahead of time to see if I might be encountering any of these attractions in my journey for that day.  Some I come across by total accident.  Not all Roadside Attractions have a geocache located within close proximity it.  I think they all should have a geocache of some kind.  Sometimes it's not the cache that makes the story but what you find when you arrive.  Here are a few that I want to share with everyone this morning.

Steinbach, Manitoba is also nicknamed the Automobile City.  Located about an hour to the Southeast of Winnipeg.  It's only fitting that you will find a large automobile.  There is a cache hidden here.  'Auto Welcome'  GC4RHJ0.  Hidden in April, 2014, it has 255 finds so far.  I found this one in September, 2015.

Roland, Manitoba.  A small town to the Southwest of Winnipeg, the area is known for the pumpkins they grow.  It's also home to the largest pumpkin.  Keeping with the pumpkin theme, the cache located here is 'Pumpkin' GCQTJ5.  Hidden in October, 2005.  It has 305 finds to date.  I logged this one in April, 2018.

Portage La Prairie.  The city is located an hour West of Winnipeg, along the Trans-Canada Highway.  On the West side of the city you will find the largest Coke can.  What use to be a water tank at a water treatment plant, someone who must be a fan of the soft drink turned it into the largest Coke can.  'The Pause That RefreshesTCDNMB YLHD' GCNC0G was hidden in April, 2005.  It has 428 finds so far.  I made the find in July, 2015


Transcona.  What was once a community on its own, is now a suburb on the East side of Winnipeg.  Hi Neighbour Sam greets everyone coming into Transcona.  Sam has moved around and his vest has changed colors over the years.  I spent my teen and young adult years living in Transcona, so there is a personal connection to this one.  No geocache that's dedicated to Sam is located here, although there are a couple not far away.


Meleb, Manitoba.  Located about an hour North of Winnipeg along highway #7.  You will find the largest mushrooms.  Meleb is a renowned picking area for mushrooms.  Located here is 'Belem' GCXR3H.  Hidden in August, 2006, it has 132 finds.  I found this one by chance on a road trip I took on November 11, 2015.


Winnipeg Beach, Manitoba.  Located about 45 minutes North of Winnipeg on Highway #9, it is the home to one of only two Whispering Giant carvings in Canada.  There were 74 of these carvings by artist Peter Toth.  Majority are located in the United States.  The one here is made of cedar and is named Anishinaabe.  When I discovered that there were many more of these carvings, I thought it would be cool to visit all of them, if possible.  There is no cache hidden at this one.


Mandan, North Dakota.  This is the next closest Whispering Giant to Winnipeg.  There is no name listed for this one, at least not from the source that I'm using.  This was on my bucket list when I went down for the North Dakota Camping and Caching event.  My route home would take me past Mandan, so I was stopping here.  'Trail of Tears: Whispering Giant - Talking Trail' GC89DPX can be found here.  Hidden by Butterfly_77 on June 12, 2019.  It has 16 finds so far.  I was 4th to find on June 23rd.


That's it for this week.  Fingers crossed that I have my intended blog ready for next week.  I don't want to give away too many hints but it is a spotlight on another Canadian geocacher.  Until then, be happy, be safe, enjoy life, have fun, and don't forget to hug your geo-pets.  Peace out.


(I am a Princess.  I command you to come here and pet me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.