Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Cache Crate

Good morning everyone.  Sticking with Cache The Line's WAM (Weekend Adventure Mission), this week is about Earthcaches.  The weekend mission is to find an Earthcache.  California is the best place for Earthcaches.  There is 1,006 listed Earthcaches there.  North Dakota is 48th with 23 Earthcaches.  Up here in the Great White North, Ontario leads the way with 620.  Manitoba ranks 8th in the country with 65.  Mexico has 59 Earthcaches with Quintana Roo region having the most with 15.

If you recall, two weeks ago I was waiting for something to arrive in the mail, but it didn't arrive in time.  I made mention that it might show up the day after that blog was published.  Guess what happened?  Yup.  I went to my mailbox on the Monday, opened it and there it was.  My first ever Cache Crate from Cache Advance.  I have watched Joshua, the Geocaching Vlogger open numerous Cache Crates on YouTube.  You can watch him open the October Cache Crate here > October Cache Crate  Since I'm looking for ways to get inspired about geocaching again, I thought this would be a good idea.  It's been over a year since I last hid a geocache.

A little history about the Cache Advance Cache Crate.  Over the 2014 holiday season, Lookout Lisa (the owner of Cache Advance), was looking for something new, the next killer app.  Along with Cache Advance that she started in 2005 with Dr. B's Cache Repair Kit, vehicle TBs, and the ability to make coins, tags, and Cachekinz with the purchase of Cache Addict in early 2014, Lookout Lisa wanted to add something new.  That's when she decided to start a monthly subscription box for geocaching.  Out went surveys asking geocachers if there was any interest in such an endeavor, what cachers would like to get, how often, and how much they would be willing to pay, plus other research into subscription boxes.  The end result is what we know today as the Cache Crate.

Now to open my first Cache Crate.  I took pictures as I discovered and took out what was in the crate.  This did feel like opening a present on Christmas morning.  There was that excitement and curiosity as to what I'll discover inside.


First thing I pull out is an Ultra Violet LED light.  It looks exactly like a pen so it'll be easy to carry around in a pocket.  This will be handy.  I know of at least one geocache not far from here that might require this to help find the final.  


Next out of the box is a package of Fire Tacks.  I'm sensing a theme here.  UV light, fire tacks, could this be a night cache theme?  I've never hidden a night cache.  Thought about it though, but you need the right location and conditions for a good night cache.  I love doing night caches.  I have done a couple on my own and I have teamed up with other geocachers to complete a night cache.  Because you need the right conditions/area, there are very few night caches around here.  They do require the extra effort to set up than a basic traditional.    


If you have a UV light, then you need a pen that only a UV light will detect.  Now I feel like writing secret messages all over the place.  I had a thought.  What if I sign a log sheet with this pen?  I did find the cache, I did sign the log sheet, but you can't see it unless you have a UV light.  Would that still count as a find?  Hmmmmm….


Since we have a night cache theme and things that glow in the dark, a couple of glow sticks is only fitting for a night cache themed crate.

\

And a sticker that says I love night caching.  It's true.  I do love night caching.  I know of a newer night cache so I'll make it a point of going out and giving it a try.  I haven't really used my Handy Dandy Flashlight II yet.  I have had a couple of opportunities but I forget it at home.  Maybe if I treated it like an American Express Card, then I won't leave home without it.  I'm not sure how well the pictures would turn out if I did an actual night cache.  It'll be worth a try.  


As for hiding a night cache, I do know of a perfect location, but my main concern is wildlife.  Bears in particular.  I might try to stay local, but now I'm very limited in ideal locations.  Plenty of thought will be needed for this.  For my first Cache Crate, I'm already feeling inspired to go out and hide something.  To quote the inside of the crate, "What's inside will get you outside". 

That's all for this week.  I await my next Cache Crate, plus I'm expecting more geocaching goodies in the mail.  Until then, be happy, be safe, enjoy life (why waste it by being miserable?), hug your geo-pets, and most importantly, have fun.  Peace out.

(I'm so cool I have to wear shades)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q