Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Night Cache

Good morning everyone.  As the year draws to a close, what area has been the busiest placing new geocaches?  Here in Canada, Ontario is the leader in that category (they also have a larger geocacher population) with 5,686 new listings.  Manitoba ranks 7th in Canada with 1,298 so far with three days remaining.  Down South, (no surprise here), California tops the list with 7,866 new listings.  Texas is second with 6,964.  North Dakota is in the 40th spot with 377 new geocaches.

A couple of weeks ago, I was inspired to attempt a newer night cache that's here in the city.  This came about from the last Cache Advance Cache Crate I received that was night cache themed.  My plan was to go Friday after my staff Christmas party, but I stayed longer than planned and the park closes at 10pm, if they actually close the park.  There are gates to close off the park, but I'm just not sure if they will actually close them.  It's a park that I'm not too familiar with, but based on what they do at Kildonan Park (they do close the gates for that park) I didn't want to be trapped inside the park.  I did make my way over there early Sunday evening.

I have done night caches before.  They are fun to do if it's set up properly.  I remember the first night cache I attempted.  I got as far as the third fire tack and lost sight of any beyond that point.  I never did finish that one, and it's now archived.  Another one that I did, I did it with another geocacher, AF Girl and her dog Romeo.  We kept losing sight of the fire tacks, but somehow managed to pick up the trail again.  I'm not really sure how we found the final, but we did.  That one is also archived.

I arrived at the parking lot shortly past 5:30pm.  The night cache I'm attempting is 'Crescent Park Fireflies (Night Cache)'  GC8EBM3.  It took a few minutes to locate the first fire tack.  My girlfriend, sm66 had messaged me just as I was starting the night cache.  That becomes relevant later.  Off I go, following the trail of 'fireflies'.


You can see one of the 'fireflies' on the tree, near the top of the picture, above where my flashlight is pointing.  That had to have taken some effort to place the tacks that high up.  Having them lower might be hard to find in the summer months when all the foliage is in full bloom.


Off I go, meandering around on the trails.  With this park, there are several trails that dissect the wooded area and crisscross with each other.  There was a few times where I had found a 'firefly', carried on down the path to nothingness.  Backtrack to the last 'firefly' I had spotted and discover that the trail took a turn onto a different path.  


I'm guessing that the reflective tape I spotted on the fence was part of the trail.  It did guide me along until I lost sight of them.  At this point, I did notice a muggle coming up from behind with his dog.  He was curious as to what I was up to.  I explained that I'm following a series of markers that will only show up at night.  Turns out he knows about geocaching as a co-worker use to do it.  Cool.  We parted ways and I backtracked to the last 'firefly' that I had found.  That's when I discovered that the trail took a hard turn to the left.  Back on course, I was able to follow the tacks for a bit, until I hit a fork in the path.  Do I go left or right?  It's a 50/50 chance that I'll either be right or wrong with my choice.  I chose to go right.  After going a small distance and not seeing anymore 'fireflies', I concluded I made the wrong choice and went back to the fork in the path.  Now I'm taking the left path.  After going a small distance that way, I couldn't see anymore 'fireflies'.  What the (fill in the blank)?  Back to the fork in the path.  I pull out the phone and pull up the cache page for this nightcache.  The final is marked with three standing on guard.  Only one log mentioned anything about losing the tacks, but finding the cache and a geo-trail.  Back down the path to the right, looking for 'fireflies' that maybe off the actual path.  I even checked out a couple of lesser deer trails.  Nothing.  Back tp the fork and double check the path to the left.  Other trails intersect this trail, but no sign of another 'firefly'.  Back and forth I go until I finally toss in the towel.  I'm DNFing a night cache.


I head back down the path that went to the left to return to the parking lot.  I did hear some noise in the bush.  Four deer have crossed my path.  That is one thing that I like about geocaching.  Coming across wildlife in their habitat.  When I returned to my car, I noted the time was just over an hour after I got that message from sm66.  I'm thinking that I spent about half an hour going back and forth on those two paths looking for 'fireflies'.

Will I come back and take another crack at this night cache?  I don't know.  Geocaching isn't just about finding the hidden container, it's also about the adventure.  Even though I didn't find this one, it was still fun while it lasted.  Until next week, be happy, be safe, hug your geo-pets, enjoy life, and most of all, have fun.  Peace out.

(can I not sit in peace without you taking my picture?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q