Skip to main content

Geocaching and Roadside Attractions part 3.

Good morning everyone.  Who doesn't like to find a large geocache?  In order to find a large cache, we need someone to hide that large cache.  So far this year, geocachers in Michigan have hidden 80 large, active geocaches.  North Dakota is 35th with 4 new large caches hidden this year.  Back here in the Great White North, the geocachers in Ontario have hidden 60 large caches that are still active in 2019.  Manitoba sits in 5th spot with 9 new large caches.

Happy Winter Solstice.  Today is the first day of Winter and just days away from Christmas.  It's also a busy time of year for many people as they get ready for the holiday season with last minute gift shopping (that's me), finalizing travel plans, food preparations, and work parties.  Last night was my work party.  I didn't think it would last very long, allowing me to possibly do a night cache and being able to write about that adventure this morning.  I stayed much longer at the party.  Home is in the opposite direction of the night cache.  Needless to say, I didn't do the night cache.  Now I sit here this morning with nothing started for a blog.  Not even an idea that I can quickly slap together to make something out of nothing in a short amount of time.  Good thing I have plenty of pictures that I can turn to from previous adventures and trips.  This morning, I present to you, another edition of roadside attractions, the animal factor.



This is Lundi the Moose.  Lundi is located in the town of Riverton, Manitoba, just over an hour (maybe an hour and a half) North of Winnipeg, just off highway #8.  This is part of a trip I took in 2015 to find caches North of Winnipeg and discover roadside attractions as well.  The cache that was here has since been archived.


Squirt the Skunk.  I first discovered Squirt by accident when I lived in Calgary back in 1991.  Fast forward to 2015 and I'm taking my boys on a vacation to Alberta.  Since I started collecting pictures of roadside attractions, I wanted to visit Squirt again.  The cache located here is still active.  'Squirt the Sunk-BTTCAR3' GC34FT2.


Sara the Camel can be found in the Manitoba town of Glenboro, on highway #2, Southwest of Winnipeg.  This is another 2015 trip that I did.  'Sara the Camel has one hump'  GC14Q0P is still here.


'Great Canadian Goose' GC3K51M can be found in Lundar, Manitoba, also about an hour North of Winnipeg, on highway #6.  As I go through these pictures, I'm discovering that I found plenty of roadside attractions in 2015.  This one as well.  It was late in the day and also the last cache found as well before heading home.


Earlier on the same trip was a stop in the town of Poplarfield, Manitoba.  There was no geocache located here at the time and the caching map indicates that is still the case.  


Returning home from my Alberta vacation with the boys in 2015.  A stop in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan was a must.  This isn't the same moose that stood here back in 1991.  'Welcome to Moose Jaw' GC4PC45 is located nearby, but we didn't have the time to search for this one.  I wanted to check into our hotel in Regina before the pool/waterslide closed for the evening.



Petersfield, Manitoba is home to the largest Mallard Duck.  I thought this was another 2015 trip, but checking the cache page, it says I found it in 2014.  I must have returned in 2015 for the picture as that looks like the back of my old car on the right side of the picture.  'Duck Park Cache' GCYME6 is located here and still active after being hidden in 2006.


On to more recent trips.  2018 saw me returning from a geocaching event in Steeprock, Manitoba, about two hours North of Winnipeg on highway #6.  A stop in Ashern was a must to get a picture of the largest Sharptail Grouse.  The cache located nearby is 'Ashern's Splash into Caching' GC12M38, hidden in 2007.


I had a few stops on my return home from the North Dakota Caching and Camping event this year.  One was in the town of Steele, North Dakota.  Sandy, the largest Sandhill Crane can be found here.  What I couldn't find was 'Sandy' GC15ET6.  It was missing at the time, but has since been replaced and is being found again.

Before stopping in Steele, I had to stop in New Salem, North Dakota to see Salem Sue, the largest Holstein cow.  There are two caches located nearby.  'Salem Sue - Talking Trail'  GC89MG0 (I found this one), and 'Sue Moo Motel' GC1BBR9 (I forgot to stop for this one).  Salem Sue is easily seen as you travel along Interstate 94.

That's all the pictures that I could quickly find this morning.  After Monday, I'll be on vacation for two weeks.  One of my plans for those two weeks is to do some writing and maybe an adventure or two.  Until next week, be happy, be safe, enjoy life, hug your geo-pets, have fun, and Merry Christmas.  Peace out.


(pay attention to me, not the football game)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q