Skip to main content

Geocaching and the January Cache Advance Cache Crate.

Good morning everyone.  I like to play around on project-gc from time to time and see what interesting stuff I can find.  I discovered a map that shows the furthest North, South, East, West and oldest geocache in a particular area.  Of the five for Manitoba, the only active caches on that list are furthest East:  "Port Nelson"  GC4Q38M.  It was hidden in October, 2013 and only found once, July, 2014.  It has a 4/4 D/T rating.  It's longitude is W92 35.629  The other active cache is Manitoba's oldest, "C1BUA - cache1n a built up area" GC21C.  Hidden in February 2001, it has 477 logged finds so far.

The January Cache Advance Cache Crate arrived.  What goodies are inside this time?  When I do this, I have no idea what I'm about to pull out of the box.  I reach in and take pictures of the items as I pull them out.  It sort of adds to the excitement.  Same could be said when I open my mailbox.  I never know what's inside.  Mostly bills, flyers, and other assorted junk mail.  It is a very pleasant surprise to open the mailbox and find a Cache Crate looking back at me.


What's inside this month?  As you can see, I'm sharing the table with my oldest boy d-2002.  I gave him a puzzle for Christmas.  While he works on that, let's see what's inside.


The first thing out of the box is a decryption key.  This is very handy for those who lie solving puzzle caches.  I do have plans of putting out more puzzle caches.  I just might use this decryption key as part of the puzzle.  Hmmmm.  The hamster is running on the wheel.  When that happens, I usually come up with some sort of evil twist to the puzzle.  


Next up, three packets of silica gel.  These help to keep the contents of your container dry.  How many times have you found a geocache and everything inside was soaked?  The log book was a pulpy clump?  Swag was slime covered?  Not a very good experience.  These little packets can help prevent that.  


Since we're discussing proper maintenance for a geocache, a maintenance kit would only be fitting to have.  We'll all need replacement log sheets and a writing utensil.  It doesn't have to be for our own caches either.  These come in handy when you find a cache with a pulpy, soggy mess of a log sheet.  How many of you have done maintenance on someone else's geocache without being asked?  I have and the cache owners do appreciate it.


A splash case and lanyard.  You can use the case to keep some of your caching supplies dry.  It could carry a small maintenance kit like the one above.  You could use it as a geocache itself.  The possibilities are endless.  The lanyard makes it hands free.  One less thing to carry (you already have a GPS or your phone in one hand).


A fake magnetic bolt.  I actually like this type of container.  It's small, but not a nano.  It can be hidden in plain sight.  I have found homemade fake bolts in the past.  I'm not sure which is better, but I'll take the one I got in the Cache Crate.  I don't have the tools to make a fake bolt.  LOL


That is the January Cache Advance Cache Crate.  That's not the only thing I have been getting in the mail.  I'll show you next week the other geocaching goodies I've been getting in the mail.  Some of it is because I'm a Patreon member to a few geocaching creators, and some I ordered.  Until next week, hug your geo-pets, enjoy life, be safe, be happy, and most of all, have fun.  Peace out.

(if I look at you long enough, you'll give in to my powers, come over and pet me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and SM66

Good morning everyone.  This week's fun fact should be a favorite.  The Canadian geocacher who has collected the most favorite points on all their caches is Tupper T. Turtle with 8,314.  The top American geocacher is WV Tim with a whopping 23,587 points. You're probably wondering who or what an SM66 is.  SM66 is a casual geocacher, a full time nurse, a full time single mom, and my girlfriend.  She knew of geocaching before I had met her, had an account, but never had a chance to find a geocache.  So I can't take credit for introducing her to this hobby.  My tales of travel, adventures and my dedication to a daily streak interested her (or she thought I was crazy) and we made plans for SM66 to experience what geocaching is all about. We decided on a day trip to Hecla Provincial Park.  This was in September of 2016.  I had never been to Hecla and neither had SM66.  We set off early with a minimum of a two hour drive ahead of us.  We arrived at our first cache location, &q