Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Transcona Adventure Labs pt.1

 Good morning everyone.  Heading along the Gulf Coast, we stop in Mississippi.  The oldest active geocache is also the first one placed (it's nice to see the original geocaches survive the test of time).  Bonita Lakes GC90.  Placed in October, 2000, it has been found 1,362 times and has 443 favorite points.  It is also the most favorite cache in Mississippi.  The second most favorite geocache is Wilson House Travel Bug Inn  GCNZQB.  Hidden in May, 2005, this geocache has been found 2,162 times and has 424 favorite points.

I have a confession to make.  I have fallen head over heals, completely, madly in love....  with Adventure Labs.  Especially during the pandemic.  Aside from Virtuals and Earthcaches, ALs are contactless.  It seems that there's a new AL popping up all the time.  Plus I have my second AL to put together still.  



As you can see, I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to ALs in Winnipeg and surrounding area.  I noticed there was three ALs located in my old stomping grounds of Transcona.  I spent my teen and young adult years living in this suburb of Winnipeg.  

Transcona is located on the Eastern side of Winnipeg.  It was founded in 1909 when the railway set up repair shops in the area.  It was incorporated as a town in 1912 and merged with Winnipeg in 1972.  

In the past, I've only done a single AL at a time.  On this day, not only will I be doing three in one day, but two will be done at the same time as they overlap each other.  The first one I'm going to feature is one of the ones that overlaps another AL.  Mural, Mural, On The Wall was put together by local geocacher SneakyShields.  This AL takes us to some of the murals that were commissioned by Transcona BIZ and can be found in downtown Transcona.  It covers a three block radius which is very walkable and wheelchair accessible.  As you do this AL, you will see additional murals that are not part of the Adventure Lab.  Let's get started.


Our first stop is at the First Transcona Scouts, Cubs & Beavers Headquarters.  An interesting mural of monsters that is dedicated to the kids and the kids at heart.  This was painted in 2018 by Cathleen Hues.


As mentioned, not all murals are a part of this Adventure Lab, but you will come across them in your travels.  Looking online, there's upwards of 20 murals to check out in the area.  The one above is close to the next AL stop.  Same for the picture below.


This one is located on the side of Bond Printing and was painted in 2017 by Jason Botkin.


Our second official stop on this Adventure Lab is the back of RJ Accounting.  If memory serves me correctly, this use to be a restaurant way back in the day.  This was painted in 2016 by Fred Thomas and is just steps away from the second stop of another Adventure Lab (more on that next week).


Just a short walk to the East will bring you to Sevala's Ukrainian Deli and the third stop of our tour.  This was also painted in 2018 by artist Mike Johnston.



Still heading East, we stop at the Royal Canadian Legion Transcona Branch #7.  This mural was done by Charlie Johnston in 2005.


As I'm putting this blog together, I'm just noticing that I don't have a picture of the last stop.  DOH!!  Fortunately I am able to get a screenshot.  This mural was originally done by Dan Sawatsky in 1991.  It was restored by Tom Andrich in 2010.  

As mentioned, I see upwards of 20 murals in the area.  We can easily have a couple more Adventure Labs just taking in these murals.  As I sit here, I wonder if SneakyShields has plans to do another one of the murals in Transcona.  Hmmmm.

That's the first of three Adventure Labs I did that day.  Next week will be the second one that takes me back to some memories of growing up in Transcona.  Until then, be happy, stay safe, wear a mask and wash your hands, but most importantly, have fun.  Peace out.


The girls catching a little sunshine in the window.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.