Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Transcona Adventure Labs part 4.

 Good morning everyone.  Today we'll be stopping in Tennessee.  The most favorite cache is 'Geo MOJO #6 in the shadow of the TITANS'  GCTGF0.  Hidden in March, 2006, it's located in Nashville and has been found 1,273 times and has 645 favorite points.  The oldest is 'LPS001'  GC132.  Hidden on January 6, 2001 (another cache that just turned 20 years old), it has 1,706 finds and 518 favorite points.

Originally, when I did the Adventure Labs in my old stomping grounds, there was only three ALs.  Since then, a fourth AL popped up.  Today, we'll go on this adventure together.  Whenever I go back to Transcona, I can't help but look back to my younger days.  It's no different for this AL either.  Let's get started.

This particular AL was set up by Sweethearts14, a married couple that live in Transcona.  They love putting out a variety of puzzle caches.   Some easy, and some that could melt your brain.  A flamingo is referenced in the title or in the description for most of their hides.



Our first stop is at George Olive Nature Park.  This nature park surrounds a natural pond that is known as the horse pond.  When I was younger, this was just open field and we knew that this pond was a good place to catch frogs.  We knew it as the horse pond back then as well.  Today, the pond is part of this nature park, surrounded by housing development.



We head to 'downtown' Transcona for our next two stops.  When I did the Transcona - Community Builders AL, a couple of the people mentioned had some involvement with the Transcona Museum.  Here it is.  What's interesting here is that two other ALs that I did; 'Mural, Mural on the Wall' and 'Things to do in Transcona' have stops just steps away from the museum.  The clock tower in the background is where the amphitheater is located and the murals are just behind there.  Busy spot for Adventure Labs.  



A short walk to the South (two blocks), is our third stop, the Transcona Shops.  The train yards behind this gate is what gave life to Transcona.  What I remember the most about the yards is the steam whistle that would blow every day at 8:25am, 8:30am, 9am, 4pm, and I believe it also blew at 12 noon and 12:30pm.  Anyone living in Transcona during those years would remember the whistle.  It could be heard for miles.  I lived two kilometers away from the yards and it was easily heard at my parent's house.  The whistle has since been retired.  If you heard the 9am whistle and you weren't in school yet, you knew you were late.  Here is a short video about the whistle > Transcona whistle


Stop number four takes us to a park on the West side of Transcona.  It is here that you will find an old steam locomotive on display.  Only fitting that there's a steam engine on display in a community that built steam engines.  What makes this one special is that it was the first steam engine built in Western Canada and it was built at the Transcona Shops.  Before I could get close enough to answer the question to this stage and take a picture, I had to wait out three muggles standing where I ended up standing for this picture.  They were playing Pokémon Go.



Our final stop is the mascot of Transcona.  Hi Neighbor Sam.  Sam use to sit a few miles West of his current location.  He greets everyone coming in to Transcona.  I forgot to take a current picture, so I grabbed this one from my roadside attractions file.  Not only has Sam changed locations a few times, but his colors have changed as well.  




That is the fourth Adventure Lab located in Transcona.  It was a blast for me to do as was the other three ALs located here.  It brings back so many memories.  Until next week, be happy, stay safe, wear your mask and wash your hands, hug your furry critters, and most importantly, have fun.  Peace out.


(Catching Tinkers napping with Nemo when I came home)



(Catching Sassy high up where she's not supposed to be)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.