Skip to main content

Geocaching and the Leap Day AL

 Good morning everyone.  Not many States and Provinces left to showcase the oldest and most favorite geocaches.  Today we stop in the State that's round on the ends and high in the middle.  Ohio.  Most favorite cache is 'Shawnee Lookout Cache'  GC31A.  Hidden in February, 2001, it has been found 3,053 times and has 1,025 favorite points.  The oldest geocache is 'Boston Runs  GC73.  Hidden in October, 2000, it was found 24 times before the park rangers removed the container.  It was archived in June, 2001.  The oldest active geocache is 'Ancient Lake'  GC2DBE.  Hidden in January, 2001, this oldie has been found 1,755 times and has 556 favorite points.

For those have been following along, they've probably saw me make reference to an Adventure Lab that I did on Leap Day, February 29th, 2020.  It was part of a nine cache type day for myself.  Project-gc doesn't recognize that particular part of my day and only credits me with eight cache types.  Today, I go back and revisit that AL.  Actually, I only stopped at the first three locations for better pictures since I didn't take a decent pictures last year.  Let's travel back to last year and then go further back in time as we explore the history of St. Boniface.


The whole tour takes us to some prominent places in the history of St. Boniface, but let's look at the very beginning.  St. Boniface was established in 1818 by French missionaries on the Eastern banks of the Red River, and across the river from present day downtown Winnipeg.  St. Boniface became a city of it's own with the largest population of French speaking people in Western Canada.  St. Boniface merged with Winnipeg in 1971 and has expanded in size with the addition of newer suburbs.  The original area of St. Boniface is also known today as Old St. Boniface.  

One of the more prominent places is St. Boniface Cathedral.  Built in 1906, it was the largest cathedral in all of Western Canada.  It looks over the Red River and into downtown Winnipeg.  The cathedral was damaged by fire in 1968.  Some of the structure still stands today and is a popular stop for visitors.  The cemetery in the front of the cathedral is the final resting place for some prominent people, including Jean-Baptiste Lagimodiere, his wife Marie-anne Gaboury, and their grandson, Louis Riel, the Metis leader and forefather of the province of Manitoba.


Just a short walk to the South is St. Boniface museum.  The building itself is the original structure that was home to the Grey Nuns.  The convent was built between 1846 and 1851.  The Grey Nuns established the first hospital in Western Canada.  Although St. Boniface hospital isn't part of this Adventure Lab, it is just a short walk South of the former convent.


Our third stop is the childhood home of a prominent Canadian author  Gabrielle Roy.  Her first published work was the novel 'The Tin Flute' in 1945.  That was the start of a new literary genre known as the Urban Novel, where Gabrielle depicts the misery of growing up poor in an urban setting.  In total, there are thirty distinct pieces of work from Gabrielle Roy, including 'Street of Riches', which depicts the life of a young girl (Gabrielle Roy) growing up on Rue Deschambault in St. Boniface.


Our fourth stop is the former St. Boniface city hall building.  Constructed in 1905, this building served as a focal point for St. Boniface until it's amalgamation with Winnipeg in 1971.  When I stopped here last year, there was a display of snow shovels with the handles in the snow and all the scoops painted white.

 

The final stop to this Adventure Lab is at a replica of Fort Gibraltar.  Situated just inside Whittier Park and across the river from it's original location, Fort Gibraltar had a rough go when it was a fur trading post.  Built in 1809 by the North West Company, it would be captured and burned to the ground in 1816 by the new Governor of the Red River Colony, Robert Semple.  Fort Gibraltar was allowed to rebuild in 1817.  It was renamed Fort Gary in 1822 after the merger of NWC and HBC.  The fort was destroyed by flood waters in 1826.  The last incarnation was rebuilt in 1835 and renamed Upper Fort Gary.  The gate entrance is all that remains of the 1835 fort and it can be found in downtown Winnipeg, just off Main St.  The replica was built in 1978 and serves as the focal point of Festival du Voyageur, a winter festival held every February.


That was my 8th geocache type of the day, as noted in my log for this Adventure Lab.  I would go on to grab a Letterbox to complete my day.


Before I wrap things up, I want to share a picture of a cache I found this past week.  This is part of this month's photo contest where the theme is showing your geocaching hat.  This is my other go-to hat that I grab.  It's a union hat that I was hoping to be a part of, but am not.  Long story and it has nothing to do with geocaching.  I was able to catch the sun setting beside my hat.



Get your pictures in for this month's contest.  Send your entries to thegeocachingguild@gmail.com or send me a message on Twitter @thegeocachingg1  Until next week, be happy, stay safe, wash your hands and wear a mask, hug your furry critters, and most importantly, be happy.  Peace out.


Tinks is having a cat nap on my bed.


Comments

  1. Upper Fort Gary is on our wish list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.