Skip to main content

Geocaching and T.W.T.W. plus random thoughts.

 Good morning everyone.  Today we look at the final State in the continental U.S.  Maine.  Once again, the oldest is also the most favorite cache in the State.  'The Fort Williams Cache'  GC128 was hidden in January, 2001.  So far, it has 4,082 found logs and 719 favorite points.

Since I moved back to Winnipeg, I have been doing a little more geocaching.  Not an over abundance, but an increase for sure.  So much so that I started doing a weekly recap, except when I'm doing the photo contest.  Not all weeks will be equally busy.  Some more so than others.  This past week was one of those 'others' type of weeks.  That leaves me with a small dilemma.  Do I leave this as a short blog or do I add some random thoughts at the bottom?  Let's look at my past week of geocaching first.

June 5:  My main goal on this day was to walk along the Sturgeon Creek Greenway path and cap all the physical Munzees that are along the route.  Once that was done, I had a multi-stage cache on my radar.  It was an extremely hot day.  Temperatures were in the upper 90 degrees Fahrenheit range.  I did my walk.  Looking at the multi, it was a unique set up and it was estimated to take a half hour to complete on foot.  Having just did a big walk and it's hot out, I passed on the multi.  0 caches found.

(My treat for completing my walk on a hot day, a rootbeer slushy and twizzlers.  Chocolate is normally my choice but it would have melted before I reached my car)

June 6:  This was an extremely lazy day.  I can't emphasize lazy enough times.  I did get out and do a nearby multi.  I was reading comments of needing to contact the CO for additional hints or PAF.  I gave it a try on my own, but turned to the PAF option.  Add me to the list.  This is the first time in all my years living in this city that I have walked across this structure.  I've always known it was there as I have driven under it numerous times.  The places that geocaching will take you.  As Cache The Line likes to say, there's always just one more.  I went back to an unofficial DNF from the previous week.  This is the one where I snagged a nail and basically destroyed the back of my shorts.  I was very attentive to those nails this time.  Using the same PAF, I was able to locate this one.  1 traditional and 1 multi.

(I have never walked across this pedestrian bridge before.  Thanks to geocaching, I can now say I have)

June 7:  There is one multi that I did attempt the first stage a couple of years ago, but couldn't find what I needed to move on to stage two.  I reached out to the CO and a different PAF for help.  Finally found stage one.  All I can say is, very evil.  Stage two wasn't any easier.  I was able to decipher the coordinates.  Probably because I would have done the same thing.  Stage three was the easiest of the four stages.  As for stage four, the final stage, it already had a DNF.  I would have been another DNF, but the CO was gracious enough to allow me to log it as found.  1 multi found.

June 8, 9, and 10.  Nothing.  I didn't go geocaching.  I'm working on my date found calendar, bringing my total finds for each day to a minimum of eleven.  All those days mentioned already have a minimum of eleven.  I'll conserve some gas and not travel across the city on those days.

June 11.  This day needed three finds to boost it up to eleven.  I also needed a mystery find to fill in another spot on my mystery date found calendar.  I set my sights on my old stomping grounds of Transcona.  I do have a couple of solved mysteries out that way, and there's a multi out that way too.  Taking a closer look at the multi, it required projecting the degrees and distance from the posted coordinates.  This doesn't look like an easy multi.  I was going to pass on it, but something told me where the projections could take me.  A hunch, a gut feeling, that inner voice you should never argue with.  I was right with my hunch in regards to the multi.  No projecting on my part.  Grabbed the mystery final, sat at a bench and solved the final coordinates to the multi.  It's in the same general area.  I walked over to the final only to discover that it's missing.  I contacted the CO with a picture and they too were gracious enough to let me log it as found.  Off to a traditional that was recently found.  Other traditionals in the area have DNFs and I'm not wasting my time on those.  This traditional brings me very close to where I use to live as an awkward teenager and young adult.  I never played in this park, but I have used it as a cut-through more times than I care to count.  Found this one.  1 mystery, 1 multi, and 1 traditional.  

(That definitely looks like it would hold a pill bottle, but there isn't one there)

My totals for the week are 3 multis, 2 traditional, and 1 mystery for 6 finds in total.  As mentioned at the beginning, this was one of those 'other' weeks.  Not busy at all.

I do want to thank the two COs that allowed me to log the multis despite the final stage being missing.  I did complete all the stages to get to the final.  This is what makes the game more enjoyable.  Yes, technically it should be two DNFs,  but that was the CO's choice to allow me to log it as found.  I did a blog last year, maybe the year prior about COs allowing people to log one of their caches as found versus being a stickler, and possibly being viewed negatively by denying a found log.  In my opinion, I come across more COs that are willing to allow the found log and keep the game fun than the Negative Nancy's.  Keep in mind that it is the COs choice.  What would you do if it was your geocache?  For myself, I would allow the found it log.  You just made someone else happy and thankful for your kindness.  If it's questions that needed to be answered and one or more are incorrect, as long as they can prove they were there (a picture can accomplish that), I'll allow it.  I don't see the point of denying a found log.  The point is that it got you to that particular location.  That's how I see it.  Yes, I have been denied because I had a wrong answer.  It was a virtual and I had proof that I was there.  I'm not going back.  Would you go back if you were denied? 

That's a look at my previous week and my rambling about cache owners.  There is a couple of weeks left to get your entries in for the June photo contest.  This month's theme is simply finding a geocache.  You can send your entries to thegeocachingguild@gmail.com or direct message me on Twitter at @thegeocachingg1.  Until next week, be happy, stay safe, wash your hands and wear a mask, get vaccinated, hug your furry critters, and most importantly, have fun.  Peace out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.