Skip to main content

Geocaching and a Whole Bunch of Random Stuff

 Good morning everyone.  We continue East into the Maritime Provinces of Canada.  First up is New Brunswick.  The most favorite cache is 'The Hopewell Rocks Earthcache'  GC11F89.  As the name indicates, it is an Earthcache that was published in March, 2007.  There has been 963 logged finds so far with 263 favorite points.  The oldest is 'Beginners Luck? First Geocache in New Brunswick'  GC760.  Hidden in April, 2001, this oldie has 493 logged finds and 116 favorite points.

For the past few weeks, I have been chronicling my week in geocaching.  This week, there really isn't much to look back on.  There is good reason for it too.  Let's take a look at The Week That Was:

Saturday, June 18.  For those that follow me know I have started taking pictures of water towers.  I did an entire blog showcasing these structures during one of my moves.  I've added something new.  Grain elevators.  More specifically, the old, wooden, standard plan grain elevators.  These dotted the prairie landscape.  Over the years, these types of elevators have become abandoned in favor of newer, larger elevators.  There are three elevators within city limits.  My main purpose for this day was to get pictures of these elevators and a water tower or two.  There just happens to be a geocache nearby where I'll be taking pictures.  It's another in the 'Down in the Dumps' series.  This one is for the old St. Boniface dump.  GC8PVRK.  It was a simple flat pack in a telephone pole.  I attempted a harder multi.  'Keeper of the Key'  GC1GXHC.  I couldn't find stage one.  1 traditional found.

(Just down the road from the geocache)


Sunday June 19 to Friday June 25.  Nothing.  I didn't go geocaching at all during the week.  That was planned though.  I have begun a one week vacation from work.  I have been planning one big geocaching day.  In order to do that, I have kept my driving to a minimum to save gas.  The more I save, the less I'll need to top up for my adventure.

I will be documenting my adventure as best as I can.  It won't be just about finding geocaches.  I will plan my route accordingly so I can get more pictures of grain elevators and water towers.  This past week I've been getting the itch to do something different creatively.  I'm thinking of stepping out from behind the keyboard, so to speak, (I actually do my entire blog using a phone app), and getting in front of the camera.  This is also stepping out of my comfort zone.  I'm not very good in front of the camera.  At least I haven't in the past.  I did dabble in Periscope, but I recently found out that that particular platform is no more for new content.  I haven't bothered with TikTok.  That leaves YouTube.  We shall see how that day progresses and what kind of footage I get.  

Another thing that happened this week was another pathtag trade.  I only have three or four duplicate tags that are up for trade, so it is a surprise when I get a trade request.  This request isn't very far away.  In fact, it's from someone that I'm familiar with, and I hope to meet one day when the border opens up again.  She's giacaches from North Dakota, the owner of the first official GeoTour (GT488) in North Dakota/ Minnesota.  She's wanting to trade for a duplicate tag that I have from Jangie.  In exchange, I'm getting my very first piece of Geocaching Vlogger swag.  As of this writing, both tags are still in transit to their new homes.

(The tag that I'm trading to giacaches)


(The tag I'm getting in exchange)

If you're not familiar with the Fargo/Moorhead GeoTour, you can see it in this 2 two part video from The Geocaching Vlogger.  Part 1 > Moorhead   Part 2 > Fargo

A couple of Sundays ago, I was watching Geocache Talk and their fifth anniversary show.  They were doing draws throughout the show for various trackable coins.  To enter, all you had to do was enter #5years in the live chat when prompted.  Much to my surprise, I actually won one of the trackables.  That showed up this week in the mail.  

(A madi gras themed coin and a Geocache Talk button)

That's been my week.  Aside from a big caching day tomorrow (Monday), I have no other caching plans for the remainder of my one week vacay.  I'll be busy trying to downsize my stuff with a goal of owning less 💩 and be able to find a nicer, smaller apartment with a balcony.  Hopefully next year.  We shall see.  Also planned is my second vaccination.  I'm excited for that.  Hopefully the border to the States will open soon.  Fingers crossed it's open before the 'Gilby Gone Wild' event GC9C05V on September 25.

Just a reminder that this is the last week to get your entries in for the June photo contest.  This month's theme is simply finding a geocache.  You can send your entries to thegeocachingguild@gmail.com or direct message me on Twitter at @thegeocachingg1.  I will be announcing the winner next weekend.

Until next time, be happy, stay safe, wash your hands and wear a mask, hug your geo-pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  Peace out. ✌ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.