Skip to main content

Geocaching and Project-gc plus other stuff

 Good morning everyone.  Looking at the first ten caches ever placed in Manitoba, six are still active.  That means four are archived.  Of the six still active, I have found three of them.  Two have been on my wishlist for quite some time, and I don't think I'll ever get that tenth one.  Here's a list of the top 10:

I have #1 (GC21C), #4 (GC10F1) and #7 (GC14B4).  I have no plans on getting #3 (GCDCF).  It requires a canoe or some other form of water transportation, which I don't own.

One thing that has been on my wish list was a premium membership to Project-gc.  I love the site and all the fun information you can get from it.  Up until recently, I've been a basic member.  When I was looking at all the oldest and most favorite caches around Canada and the United States, it was done on a basic membership and having to run multiple queries to get the information I needed.

The price for a one year premium membership at Project-gc is $24US, or $30CDN after the exchange.  That's a really sweet deal.  I compare that to being a premium member on a dating site.  For the same price as a one year membership on Project-gc, I can get one month on a dating site.  Bottom line; I get a whole year of interesting stats that I can set goals for, share in my blog, etc.  Compare that to one month of rejections on a dating site (which is really depressing when you think about it), it's a no brainer.  I'm giving Project-gc my hard earned money.

One thing I've always complained about in the past was how Adventure Labs never showed up in the stats.  Guess what shows up now that I'm a premium member?  Adventure Lab stats.

It recognizes my eleven icons in a single day.  As a basic member, it would say I had ten and not count the AL.  

I get two new tabs to click at the top of my stats.  LabCaches and Challenges.  I love challenge caches.  Now I can see where all the challenge caches are and if I found them, left a note, but didn't qualify at the time.  I also get a list of those particular challenges as well, and a fizzy grid for my challenge finds too.


The oldest one I have that I signed and still don't qualify for goes back to May 17, 2014.  GC21BKD Manitoba Provincial Parks Challenge.  There is no checker for this challenge.  The requirement is to find caches in 26 different provincial parks in Manitoba.  I know I have some parks, but I never sat down to see if I have twenty six.  I doubt it.

This comes at a good time as the local geocaching association released 25 challenge caches.  Twenty four are mystery and one is a multi-stage.  The challenges are all based on the number of geocaches you have found in Manitoba.  The 'hardest' if you want to call it that is 5,000 finds GC9APEG.  I have over six thousand finds right now.  Off the top of my head, I don't think I have more than five hundred finds outside of the province.


I ran the checker anyway because it feels good to see that green check mark after running a checker.


I will claim these when the time is right, on the days that I need finds to bring my daily total of finds to eleven.


That calendar is filling in nicely.  The Winter months will be the hardest.

Another thing I've done recently is hide geocaches again.  The last time I hid one was November 19, 2018.  Aside from two events, I haven't hid anything until this month.  One, which I mentioned last week is a bonus cache to my newest Adventure Lab.  That was placed September 5.  Last weekend, I hid another puzzle cache.  I had that one percolating in my head for awhile.  I'm missing a D1/T2 mystery for my mystery fizzy grid.  I ran a pocket query and at that time, there was no D1/T2 mystery combo.  So I placed one at a T2 setting and created the easiest D1 puzzle you could possibly imagine.  That cache was supposed to be published yesterday morning so I can greet the FTF cacher.  The reviewer messed up and published it Thursday night instead, much to my surprise Friday morning when I got up for work.  Now, there are two more D1/T2 mystery combinations.  Those are part of the local geocaching association challenge caches that were published after mine was.  I'll be making plans on going towards the Saskatchewan border or beyond in the future.


If you don't hear from me in a while, I'm probably stuck on Project-gc, looking and dreaming of the different caches I can find to fill in holes in a variety of stats.

That's all for this week.  Until next time, be happy, stay safe, wash your hands and wear a mask, get vaccinated (if you haven't already), hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  Peace out ✌ 



There's always room for just one more picture.  I wasn't stumped by this one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.