Skip to main content

Geocaching and My Week in Pictures pt 5.

Good morning everyone.

I had hopes of doing a review of the films in this year's GIFF 2021.  Problem is, there are seventeen entries to review.  That could make for a lengthy blog.  I did attend a GiFF event here.  This interesting fact was provided by our host, dani_carriere.  November 21st was the last day to host official GIFF events.  The GIFF event in Winnipeg was the last official event in the world.  You didn't have to attend an event to see the entries.  Geocaching has released the reel on their YouTube channel for everyone to see.  There is a survey you can do after you have watched all the films.  You are voting for your favorite entry.

When you review something, you give both the good and bad on the subject.  All seventeen entries are better than what I could possibly do, so I shouldn't be critical.  They are all uniquely different.  Some of my favorites are 'Got a Pen?', 'Signal Academy', 'First Hide', and 'Muggle Madness'.  You can find the reel here > GIFF 2021 

There is a code at the end that you need to earn this year's GIFF souvenir.  I haven't entered it yet.  I also haven't discovered the Mars Rover trackable either.  

Monday, I set out after work to grab a bunch of challenge caches.  This was in conjunction with the Geocaching Vlogger's geocache challenge of the month.  The challenge for November was to find a challenge cache.  That was easy enough for me.  I still have seven of these caches that the local caching association put out earlier this year.  There are twenty four in total with twelve of them located just outside of Winnipeg.  The basic idea of the challenge is the same for all twenty four caches.  Find geocaches that are hidden within Manitoba's borders.  The amounts differ from each with the smallest being five caches found to as high as five thousand caches found in Manitoba.  With over 6,500 finds in total, and maybe five hundred of those are outside of Manitoba, I easily qualify for all these challenge caches.

This is the first time I have done any video since I drove out to the Saskatchewan border over five weeks ago.  It's also the first video I've edited in a long time.  I still have footage from the summer that needs editing.  With this video, I decided to have some fun with it.  The editing is a little rough as I did it in a bit of a rush.  The deadline for entering is just days, maybe just hours away.  The idea that I had still comes through.  You can watch the finished product here > November Geocache Challenge of the Month 

I've been busy trying to fill in my day found calendar so every day shows eleven finds.  As mentioned in previous blogs, I have to deal with rush hour traffic after work to get to the other side of the city.  I have maybe an hour of daylight, and that includes my driving time getting to where I need to go.  Guaranteed I'll be finding some in the dark.  I came to the conclusion this week that this was insane.  Depending on the day, I have to find between one and seven caches.  I decided that I didn't need this pressure in my life.  I'm back to my original plan.  Slowly eliminate the lowest numbers.  In this case, it's the days with four and five finds.  If I was retired, then there wouldn't be a problem filling in my calendar.  I'm not retired and I won't be for another year yet, hopefully. 🤞  

I didn't go caching on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.  It felt good to not go.  By not going, that ends a six month stretch of days with a minimum of eleven finds.  I did go out Friday after work for two quick finds.  

That's not trash, that's a geocache.

Yesterday I did a test run for another section of the Trans-Canada Highway Adventure Lab series.  I've never done a test run before.  Since it's a test run, these don't count towards your find totals.  At least I know the answers, so it'll be quick for me the next time.  

Look for this AL, coming to geocaching maps very soon.

Before I wrap things up, I received mail this week.  

One of the perks to being a Patreon subscriber to geocaching content.  In this case, it's Cache Canada.  By donating a few dollars each month, it helps to offset the cost of producing their content.  As a thank you, I get perks such as what I received above.  Their letter says it better.


That's all for this week.  What adventures await me for December?  Until next time, be happy, stay safe, hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  Peace out. ✌ 

There's always just one more picture.  This one wasn't winter friendly, but after some digging, I found it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.