Skip to main content

Geocaching and My Week in Pictures pt 6

Good morning everyone,

As I mentioned last week, I stopped trying to fill my date found calendar so every day shows eleven finds for each and every day.  One of the reasons I sort of touched on was the rush hour traffic.  The way the road system in Winnipeg is set up, it may have been sufficient in the 1950s, but that was 60+ years ago.  Not much has changed since.  I can write an entire blog on this topic, but I'll stick to geocaching.  

Another reason for stopping was that doing something like that was controlling my life.  Just like doing a daily streak did.  Geocaching is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be fun.  I'm always saying at the end of each blog to have fun.  Time to practice what I tell everyone else.

Needless to say, I didn't do any geocaching until Friday.  There are four geocaches that I haven't found in the town of Stoney Mountain, just a short drive North of the city.  At this time of year, attributes are very helpful, especially the Winter Friendly attribute.  In more tropical locations, the Winter friendly attribute probably garners a few chuckles, but around here, it should be a requirement to say if it's Winter friendly or not.  It could spare a potential finder some grief and time.  Not Winter friendly?  Come back in the Spring.  Although there are a few exceptions.  Technically not Winter friendly, but still Winter findable.  I mention this because the first cache I went for didn't mention at all if it was Winter friendly or not.  After discovering from previous logs that the coordinates are off and more accurate coordinates are given by a previous finder, I searched a likely host to no avail.  With nothing else around but big boulders that could be a host, I determined that this one wasn't Winter friendly.  It does say it's suitable for kids.  To me, that says it could be low to the ground.  The description did say that ground zero provided a nice view.  That didn't disappoint.

I headed back towards my car and a geocache that was hidden closer to the parking area.  I went after the further one first.  The open area still provided a good view of the setting sun.  

This hide had a twist to the typical hide you find on guide wire covers.  I found it.  There's two more to find yet.  Will I be able to get to them?

The next one is Winter friendly and it's a bison tube, as mentioned in the description.  Since it was a bit breezy and no leaves, if I look closely enough, I might spot a bison tube dancing in the breeze.  I opted to skip the fourth cache since the sun has already gone down and it will be dark soon enough.

One of my favorite movies is Shawshank Redemption.  I always think about that movie when I see the penitentiary located at Stoney Mountain.

Saturday was more for me.  I could have gone geocaching, but there really isn't any for me to find that I haven't found yet where I wanted to go.  That was Bird's Hill Park.  I bought a bag of seed on my way out so I can feed the chickadees.


There are numerous trails in the park, but at this time of year, some are specifically for walking, some for cross country skiing, and some for fat tire cycling.  I picked a trail that's about 1.5km in length and near the campground.  I stopped a few times along the way to feed the chickadees.  There was an open area where I was able to capture this picture.

That was my week.  Not much geocaching done, but that's OK.  I'm making me a priority, doing things to simplify my life and make myself happy.  Going for a walk and feeding the chickadees over geocaching will win most of the time.  Until next week, be happy, stay safe (and warm), hug your pets if you have any, and most importantly, just have fun like I did this week.  Peace out. ✌ 


There's always just one more picture.  Instead of geocaching after work, I have returned to Kildonan Park for a walk around the park.  I caught the setting sun reflecting off the open water and thin ice that covers the Red River.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.