Skip to main content

Geocaching and January, 2022

Good morning everyone.

Welcome to the first of the monthly blog schedule.  When I decided to make the switch from weekly to monthly, I had no idea what was waiting for me.  This actually begins before I concluded my fourth quarter review and year in review blogs.  I kicked off the new year by testing positive for covid.  Fortunately, I was double vaccinated at the time, but I still needed to isolate for a week.  Honestly, it was the best week off of work.  I had gone grocery shopping days before testing positive, so I was good for food.  I had a few people check on me via text, one of which is my geocaching partner, Auntie Mo.  I did solve a couple of geocaching jigsaw puzzles that are located in Southern Ontario.  Aside from that, it was a whole lot of video games.  

(I had plenty of time to get creative on Minecraft, building a tardis and a rustic church).

I honestly thought I was coming down with a cold.  I got tested and much to my surprise, I was positive.  All I had was coughing, a low fever, and a brief stuffy nose.

What was the first thing I did when I came out of isolation?  I found 2 traditional geocaches nearby.  My first two finds of the year.  

The weather hasn't been very nice around these parts.  It's been a cycle of frigid cold temperatures, followed by a brief warm spell that only brings a big dumping of snow.  Not really ideal geocaching weather.  I only got out two more times for a total of three caching days in January.  I found eight traditional, did six stages of various Adventure Labs, and attended one event for fifteen finds in total.  That isn't much to write about.

(finally completed this AL)

(one of the eight traditionals I found)

As we roll into February, I'm approximately 1,500 points shy of reaching the peak for January.  Fortunately, Mt. Aconcagua goes until the first weekend of February.  

For those that have been following along will recall that Angie (aka Jangie/Geo-Jangie) and myself were running a FB page for bloggers, The Geocaching Guild.  That project basically came to a stop last fall as neither of us had the time anymore to do the scheduling.  There wasn't any immediate plans to resurrect the page either.  Until.....  for those who have listened to the Podcacher show, one of the hosts, Sonny, Googled geocaching blogs and found The Geocaching Guild.  The page got a mention on a recent episode.  I've been thinking of how to breathe some life into the Guild again.  It's still in the idea phase, but hopefully soon.  You can catch the episode here > Podcacher

My time has been spent at the gym.  With the exception of the week I was isolating and the week after as I felt I wasn't quite ready to return.  I didn't let covid stop my plans of losing weight.  I couldn't go to the gym, but I did maintain my intermittent fasting.  On December 28th, I weighed 241.8lbs.  On January 28th, I was 235.6lbs.  A drop of six pounds in the first month.  I'm getting more acquainted with the weight machines at the gym again.  It's been seven or eight years since I was last at a gym.  I'm starting to get into a rhythm.  Although my cardio is predominantly recumbent bike and treadmill, I change things up with each visit.  Different length of time, different levels, just be different so the body doesn't become too comfortable.  One day I was goofing around on the bike and came up with a good workout.

My version of riding up a hill, then down.  Each row of dots across represents two minutes and twelve seconds over a 35 minute session.  Each row up is a different level, starting at level 5 on the left and hitting level 13 at the peak.  I skipped level 12 as it didn't give me that peak in the middle.

The six pounds that I lost is expected.  When you go from a sedentary lifestyle to an active lifestyle, you will have that initial weight loss.  Now that I'm active, the weight doesn't come off as easily.  Plus, I'm slowly replacing some of the fat with muscle.  The numbers on the scale may not say so, but I'm still slimming down.  The one place I want to slim down, my mid section, will be the last to see the inches come off.  I find that going to the gym is good for the mental health.  I feel good after each workout and seeing the weight go down also feels good too.

That's been the first month of 2022.  Hopefully I can do a little more geocaching in February.  I still have to reach the peak.  I'll let you know next month if I make it.  Hopefully I have more good news in my quest to lose weight and be healthy.  Until next month, be happy, stay safe, hug your pets, and most importantly, just have fun.  Peace out ✌ 


There's always just one more picture, or in this case, two pictures.  Since I don't have any other geocaching pictures to share, I give you the kittens that are at my work.  There's three in total, all very black.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geocaching and July, 2022

Good morning everyone.  Last month I was a little late in getting that month's blog published, but this month I want to get this out early.  I'll explain why later. July has been an interesting month.  I've been on a few adventures, rode my bike, and I've been hosting a weekly themed event. July started off with Auntie Mo and myself going on a spur of the moment road trip into the Southeast portion of Manitoba to do an Adventure Lab that takes us to some roadside attractions.  There was other ALs to do as well. (big Buffalo in Grunthal, Manitoba) (big deer in Saint Malo, Manitoba) Later in the month, I tagged along with Auntie Mo as she did the four Adventure Labs in the East part of Winnipeg.  I had done them already, but I couldn't resist giving Auntie Mo a tour of Transcona.  This also helped set her up to be close enough to claim her 800th find while she visits family back home in Nova Scotia.  As I write this, she has reached that milest

Geocaching and Patreon

Good morning everyone.  Almost 10 months is completed for the year 2019.  Where has the time gone?  Who has found the most geocaches so far?  In Canada, it's Troqueurs32 with 10,423 finds.  That's almost ten thousand more than me.  Down in the U.S., mondou2 has found 16,743 geocaches.  Locally, 4elements5senses has logged 2,169 finds so far among Manitoba based geocachers.  Tick_Magnet is the top North Dakotan with 2,004. If you follow any of the Geocaching YouTubers (vloggers), podcasters, or bloggers, you may have heard some talking about and thanking their Patreon subscribers.  What exactly is this Patreon that these people are talking about?  Hopefully this week's blog will help you understand the background and connection that these geocaching artists have with Patreon.  Helping me out with this project are two people that I subscribe to.  GeoJangie and Cache the Line, both of whom are Patreon creators. First, a little background history.  Patreon was co-founded by

Geocaching and April in review

Good morning everyone.  Top favorite mystery cache in Canada is Ex Libris (GC4GZGB) in British Columbia.  Active since 2013, it has been found 722 times and has been given 282 favorite points.  Top favorited mystery cache in Manitoba is Water World (GC4MA6Y).  Active since 2013, it has been found 138 times and has received 99 points.  Top American favorite mystery cache is HQGT Ode to the Golgafrinchan Phone Workers (GC32A0H) in Seattle, Washington.  Active since 2013, found 7,313 times with 2,740 favorite points.  For North Dakota, Factory Outlet (GC576Q1) by trycacheus is the top favorited mystery cache.  Active since 2014, found 114 times and has 71 favorite points. How did everyone do for finding caches in April?  I found 41 caches.  Not exactly a big number like I use to do in the past.  Having my area mostly cached out will lead to fewer finds as I rely on newer caches to be published.  Last year, I did run out when I got the notification for a newly published geocaches nearby.